Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 27.5 Plus bike & I've read a lot about the importance of tire pressure and the massive differences even small changes in PSI can make. So I guess accurate tire pressure measuring is of paramount importance.

I've got two track pumps, both with gauges, both not worth two bob for measuring tire pressure. The needle jumps around all over the place. I guess I should be reading with the pump pushed all the way down? But the gauges on my pumps give different readings this way so not very helpful anyway.

Can anyone recommend a reliable an accurate presta valve pressure gauge? Mechanical or digital, as long as it works & is accurate. I've read good things about the Topeak D2 digital gauge but it's a little pricey.

· Registered
6,348 Posts
for presta, go digital. simple, easy, reliable.

If your bike is setup tubeless, with sealant, always remember to release some pressure before you put on the gauge. Tap the valve cap a couple times until it stops spitting sealant. Otherwise, you shoot sealant into the gauge, and in a very short time, it gums up the gauge.

· Registered
9,769 Posts
Accugage. I use a 30 psi model. Put it on the valve stem, press the button valve to bleed the tire down to the desire pressure, and watch it on the gauge. Digital gauges I've tried have no real-time pressure indication. You put it on, it reads out a pressure, and that's it. You can't watch it go up or down.

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If your bike is setup tubeless, with sealant, always remember to release some pressure before you put on the gauge. Tap the valve cap a couple times until it stops spitting sealant. Otherwise, you shoot sealant into the gauge, and in a very short time, it gums up the gauge.
Sound advice on the valve i.e. release a little air before using gauge. I've been reading a lot of reviews of tire pressure gauges & they are extremely polarized. Some people think an item is fantastic. Others say it broke after a short time. I wouldn't mind a bet why!

· Rent this space for $
4,595 Posts
I have used a Topeak D2 for a about 3-4 years, now. It's been excellent. So much so, I see they're being closed out so I bought another one just last week. Hopefully the closeout is a simple upgrade and it's not going away. Amazon is your friend. Most shops have them as high as $40! I paid $25 delivered. They are within <.5 psi of each other.

Pro tip:
Some users complained of letting out air when trying to check the pressure. There is a little learning curve of it's use but the best thing to do is disassemble the valve inlet by holding the tip against your palm and rotate it, unscrewing the end and pull the guts out. Add just a thin wipe of Slick Honey or other light suspension grease to the rubber components and reassemble. It makes a night/day difference and even on my road bike where the tiniest squirt can cause a loss of 5+ psi, it eliminates that completely.

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies. I ended up ordering an SKS from Chain Reaction Cycles. Had trouble tracking down a Topeak D2 here in Aus for less than $50 (including shipping) otherwise I probably would have gone for that one. The SKS was only $35 (including shipping). I'll post back how it is once I've tried it.

· Land of the 230+
2,613 Posts
Ive had the topeak and its absolute garbage, especially if you run fat bike or plus bike pressures. In fact Ive never seen a digital gauge work well under 20 psi.

Accu-Gage. I have both the 15 and 30 psi versions. Both are accurate to eachother to within 1/8 psi. The accuracy is limited only by your eyesight. Accept no imitations.

· Land of the 230+
2,613 Posts
Well you can repeatably dial in with an analog gauge to within 1/10 of a PSI pretty easily on the 15 PSI gauge, and probably even on the 30 psi. The topeak D2 only displayed full psi increments, so you have no idea if you're on the high or low side. Some things are still better off analog.

· Pipe Dreamer
20,313 Posts
Ive had the topeak and its absolute garbage, especially if you run fat bike or plus bike pressures. In fact Ive never seen a digital gauge work well under 20 psi.

Accu-Gage. I have both the 15 and 30 psi versions. Both are accurate to eachother to within 1/8 psi. The accuracy is limited only by your eyesight. Accept no imitations.
Are you talking about this one? Meiser Presta-Valve Dial Gauge with Pressure Relief 30psi in Tree Fort Bikes Pressure Guage

I need a gauge and might use more than 15psi in some tires. I'm down with analog.

· Registered
9,769 Posts
I said it already, but one main advantage of the Accugage is that it reads continuously, unlike the digital gauges I used, and it has a bleed button which lets you slowly let out air to set an exact pressure. Pump up the tire above what you want, put the gauge on and bleed it down to exactly what you want, then pop the gauge off. You can reproducible set pressure to a fraction of a PSI.

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Got the SKS digital gauge in the post yesterday. Doesn't work very well at all. Maybe I'm not using it correctly? When I place the device on the valve air is continuously leaking from the valve. The pressure is read pretty quickly but if it's leaking air whilst in use how accurate is it going to be?! I tried using the deflate button but the air flow doesn't seem to change from just having the thing on the valve to take a reading! Seems very hit & miss. Think I'll try the analog Accugauge. My wife's bike has schrader valves. I'll see if it works any better on these.

· Bann&#279;d
1,328 Posts
I said it already, but one main advantage of the Accugage is that it reads continuously, unlike the digital gauges I used, and it has a bleed button which lets you slowly let out air to set an exact pressure. Pump up the tire above what you want, put the gauge on and bleed it down to exactly what you want, then pop the gauge off. You can reproducible set pressure to a fraction of a PSI.
I just ordered one of these from Amazon for $13 but I went with the 60 psi version. Like the simplicity and ability to leak air out as you pointed out.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.