Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. For the first time in my life, I am running tubeless tires. I weigh 300lbs and I am riding a 29-inch hardtail. Any rough guestimate? I cannot seem to find a post discussing tire pressure for someone as heavy as me.

also, not a lot of rocks where I ride. Sandy, flowy tracks with some roots and things, but not rocky.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
80 Posts
I’d go 35ish to start. Might be a little high, but first ride should give you an idea

Rim width also has some impact on needed pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,126 Posts
You could be on a 35mm inner width rim. Pressure should be low enough so you get rim hits hitting roots then go up a couple psi. The rear will be 4-5 pounds higher than the front.
If you put a frame pump in your pack you can add pressure as needed. Then check with a gauge or by feel.
If you have 30mm inner rims the pressure will be higher.
Skinnier rims will need more pressure to keep that size tire from getting squirrelly in the corners.

·
roots, rocks, rhythm
A little of this and that........nothing cheap!
863 Posts
I would think some good quality strong rims would be the best for you.
I agree with the others that a 30 - 35 mm width rim (Or even a bit wider) would get you a good wheel!
Too thin of a rim and the tire will feel wobbly or flex, like EB1888 said!

I always use a good, quality, solid rim to give me a great ride!
Cheers,
k

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
This calculator is funny. It gave me 19psi f/r for 75kg rider and 21psi f/r for 140kg one.

Anyhow - I ride 30/40 psi F/R on my freeride bike ( which I jump to flat and, generally speaking, mistreat ) and 25/30 F/R on my enduro rig. I weigh 240lbs + bike + gear

·
fraid of heights
1,877 Posts
Thank you all for your help.
Below is a safer MTB calculator.

this article has the same calculator, but lots of good info.

·
old school
22 Posts
Ballpark that has always worked for me - my weight fluctuates a lot - I am currently about 260 lbs and ride at 32 front and rear. For every 10 lbs my weight changes, I will increase or decrease by about 1 psi. That said, I like a fairly firm ride (and not trashing my rims).

·
Registered
140 Posts
25/30 F/R on my enduro rig. I weigh 240lbs + bike + gear
I’m running 25/30 too on my XC rig at 300 with no problems. Roots, smaller fallen timber and small rocks are all I generally deal with.

Try going for say 30/30 and ride loops at your local with a pump handy. Keep dropping pressure a couple of psi per loop until the tyre just starts to fold a little and then bump back up a couple of psi. That’s what you should run for those trails. Obviously that will then have to change for different conditions on other trails

·
Registered
52 Posts
Your tire casing will also play into how much pressure you put into your tires. Stronger casing the lower the pressure you can safely run.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
At your weight.... not knowing how you ride...
I'd be guessing 37'ish rear and 33'ish front...

I'm 245lb's and run 23-25 front and 30-32 rear.

NB, on my 29+ steed I get down to 19-20 rear and 16-17 front

Re, rider style... If you're out for a mellow spin then subtract 2-3 psi.

If you're bombing down huge berms at the bike park add 2-3 psi.

Sent from my Asus Rog 3

·
fraid of heights
1,877 Posts
The other thing is that Italian calculator above gives a high and low rage. For me at 270 with gear it says 29 front and 31 rear. But then the range on front is 25 to 33 and the range on back is 28 to 35.

Kind of cool... I'm using the low range without issue. (which is about 2 psi higher than what I was at prior just making it up)

ALSO... was thinking back in the day when I lived across the street from south mountain I would run 42 rear 38 front because it was the only way I could keep from getting pinch flats from all the rocks... Crazy

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you for all of your help. I went on another ride this morning and I seem to be most comfortable with the rear tire around 36 and the front around 32. I will keep playing with it. Thanks again.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts