Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK... I am contemplating putting together a single speed and have been bouncing around different sites for info. I realize that tire preference has a lot to do with trail conditions, but given a rigid fork I am currious what peoples preferences are and also how soft they run them.

Also how many of you have to dismount to complete your favorite loop? not sure I could make mine with out gears....

JK

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
I have run up to a Gazzi 3.0 @ 10 psi on the front.

I dismount almost every time I stop!

I know of very, very few SSers that never have to push their bike at some point oon their regular routes. Of course that goes for gearies, too.

·
HIYAH
754 Posts
I have been running 2.4 WTB MutanoRaptors with great success in most conditions...I live in a desert, rocky, rooty, loomy, and sometimes muddy area...(read new mexico) I tried many tires since I started SSing and have found the mutano's to be the perfect match for my completely ridig SS! Running about 30 lbs all the way around.

·
Not because I'm fast.....
748 Posts
JHK said:
OK... I am contemplating putting together a single speed and have been bouncing around different sites for info. I realize that tire preference has a lot to do with trail conditions, but given a rigid fork I am currious what peoples preferences are and also how soft they run them.

Also how many of you have to dismount to complete your favorite loop? not sure I could make mine with out gears....

JK
I like the WTB 2.4 Motoraptor as a front tire in rigid fork. I don't run it really low, around 25-30psi. I have also tried the WTB 2.5 Weirwolf and it was pretty good too. I much prefer the Moto though and have had one on the front of my bikes for almost 3 years.

Dismounting is just a part of the SS experience. I try not to walk much though if I can help it, even if it means resting and riding for 20 feet and then stopping again to rest.

·
That's gonna leave a mark
1,632 Posts
Nokian NBX and dismounting

2farfwd said:
I like the WTB 2.4 Motoraptor as a front tire in rigid fork. I don't run it really low, around 25-30psi. I have also tried the WTB 2.5 Weirwolf and it was pretty good too. I much prefer the Moto though and have had one on the front of my bikes for almost 3 years.

Dismounting is just a part of the SS experience. I try not to walk much though if I can help it, even if it means resting and riding for 20 feet and then stopping again to rest.
I've tried the Motoraptor 2.4, Panni FireXC 2.1, IRC Mythos, Maxxis Minion 2.3, Maxxis Larsen 2.0 and the Nokian NBX 2.35. My all around favorite for SoCal conditions is the NBX. The only disadvantage is, unless you run the UST version, Stan's NoTubes won't work due to a perforated sidewall where the NOKIAN lettering is stamped. So I use the YesTubes system.

As far as dismounting, I'm with you, 2Farfwd. I ride until I redline and then I rest. Then I jump on and have a go at it until I redline. Repeat. After a while I find I can go further before heaving on the trailside. I can honestly say I've probably only walked my SS 2 or 3 times. Doesn't make me any more of a man, just stubborn...and slower than the guy that decided to walk.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I currently run the Michelin 2.2 Hot S on my gearie and the newer version called something Xtreme on my SS. They are both 2.2 and the same tread pattern. So far they are the best tires that I have ever used.

Don't sweat the getting off part. The more you ride, the less you will have to get off. Your trails will dictate how much you really get off or not. You would be surprized at what you can climb if you just get in a groove. When you stand up and pump in circles it just seems like if you keep peddling you keep going.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Coincidence

I JUST completed an order with SpeedGoat for Mutano 2.4s for my SS, based on recommendations from others here.

Running Panaracer Fire XCs, now at 2.1, and could use a little more volume. Great tire though.

·
SNGLSPD
1,058 Posts
JHK said:
JK
tire choice-fat up front Weirwolf 2.5 for loose conditions.
You will be surprised what you are able to ride on SS.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
If it doesn't say PORC its CRAP! ;)

For North GA which is basically twisty narrow eastern single track that goes from wet to mud to sandy bottoms to rocks and roots...

I have yet to find any better all around tire than

Onza Porcs at 45psi.

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,657 Posts
Kenda Vote

A combo I have been using this spring is the Kenda Cortez 2.4 (front) and Kenda Nevegal 2.35 (rear) Both are DTC versions (dual tread compound). They roll fast, and stick tight high on the sides of ruts. No wierd "washy" folding side knobs on hardpack or pavement. 30psi or so on the un-suspended Bianchi BUSS.

They are my new favorites, unseating the Fire XC Pro as my SoCal tire of choice.

J

JHK said:

JK

·
Registered
20 Posts
The Motoraptor 2.4 is good. Current front tyre is a Ritchey Motovader 2.6, that I run soft, with a heavy duty tube. I can't tell yo the pressure, I just squeeze it. Haven't flatted after many rim contacting hits. Go fat! :p

·
Gold Member
Wrecker V2 / Nimble9
1,197 Posts
I was running IRC Beartracker 2.25's on one SS and they worked well until worn to about 70%.
I also used 2.1 Pana XC Pro's and loved them.
The new SS sports Weirwolf Race 2.1's and they are great!

·
And He was Not
1,686 Posts
I'm in peidmont area of N.C. the local trails have short,steep climbs don't have to get off much around here. Trails are real fast. I'm runnig 2.3 Hutchinson Mosquitoes with Stans conversion 28-30 lbs. They roll like slicks but stick in the corners real nice on hard pack. make sure you check Shiggy's site for tire suggestions

·
Registered
200 Posts
MutanoRaptors front and back?

On-One said:
I have been running 2.4 WTB MutanoRaptors with great success in most conditions...I live in a desert, rocky, rooty, loomy, and sometimes muddy area...(read new mexico) I tried many tires since I started SSing and have found the mutano's to be the perfect match for my completely ridig SS! Running about 30 lbs all the way around.
I run the Mutano 2.4 on the front and a Python Light on the back with a tubeless converstion on both. The Mutano works so well on the front, I've been tempted to put a Mutano on the back. I do notice a slight rebound "bouncy" feel up front, but I usually run about 35-38 psi. Do you have any problems with the Mutano on the back?

·
Registered
224 Posts
SScheetz said:
I run the Mutano 2.4 on the front and a Python Light on the back with a tubeless converstion on both. The Mutano works so well on the front, I've been tempted to put a Mutano on the back. I do notice a slight rebound "bouncy" feel up front, but I usually run about 35-38 psi. Do you have any problems with the Mutano on the back?
I run the same setup as SScheetz. It's a real solid combo for sandy, rocky, dry, to loamy conditions and servicable when wet (don't know about mud though). Even though Stan's website doesn't recommend WTB tires I haven't had a problem other that getting it aired up the first time.

·
nachos rule!
390 Posts
schwalb fat albert 2.35's here, an awesome all-around tire for conditions here in nm. they're on a full rigid surly, 23 psi front, 25 psi rear.

as others have said, you'll be surprised what you can get up on a ss once you get in the groove on it.

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
Been using 2.4 Mutano's Front 35psi & Rear 40psi in all conditions and I can't say I've got anything bad to say about them.

- Though I'm considering a pair of the new Bontrager Revolt SS's in 2.2 version - They're probably not a "true" 2.2 but they're very light & have good air volume, plus they rock when it's sandy out. I'm riding in Sea Otter country so there's a pretty good mix of everything condition wise & steepness wise.

- Yes dismounting from the bike sucks but as said by others it's just part of it.

·
singlespeed smash brother
318 Posts
I've found WTB stock hard to come by and also I don't like spending more money than I have to by so I've been running a 2.5 Maxxis High roller front @ 20psi and 2.3 Larsen tt @ 30psi rear. I irde all round conditions. The High roller rocks on the front for any surface and both it and the larsen roll fast. The larsen needs some finess when climbing looser stuff. I like the extra cush the big larsen gives with out rolling like a square. I'm also a fan of tioga xc rear tires. They climb great and are cheap but not as cushy.

As for getting off I used to a lot but then I got fitter and can now ride all the stuff on my regular loop. I then go and find something else I have to get off on and try and ride it. One day I'll clear it but only after walking it a lot. It's part of the ss thing. Once you accept that peace will fill your heart.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.