Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For hardpack single track (I mean really hardpack singletrack) that has loose stuff in the corners (not sand, more like a million little pebbles) I like to use a front tire that has hard deep knobs for the front tire.

What front tires have you used that have fairly hard rubber with deep knobs. I am thinking about the new WTB ExiWolf--but I open to all ideas.

Thanks!

·
Absurd
919 Posts
OregonMTB said:
For hardpack single track (I mean really hardpack singletrack) that has loose stuff in the corners (not sand, more like a million little pebbles) I like to use a front tire that has hard deep knobs for the front tire.

What front tires have you used that have fairly hard rubber with deep knobs. I am thinking about the new WTB ExiWolf--but I open to all ideas.

Thanks!
Sounds like Mammoth mountain. When I was there I used Maxxis Mobsters front and rear. Alot of people also liked a Mobster front and High Roller rear. Maxxis makes both models in XC, FR, and DH sizes. I'd try the lowest duro. they have for the front, and a 50 or 60 on the rear.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have tried the soft and sticky and those knobs just roll to the side of the tire on the crushed granite--your tire becomes a semi-slick.

I am really looking for a sub-600 gram tire with hard knobs.

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
OregonMTB said:

Thanks!
The ExiWolf looks like a major improvement in loose corner handling compared to the NanoRaptor. It should loose none of the superior low rolling resistance with the center rib knobs and gain in corner grip with the bigger side knobs.

I like the sub-600g MutanoRaptor 2.4's for the conditions you talk about (common Nor Cal coastal foothill conditions). But the bigger size floats and wallows more than the smaller 2.1 and is a higher profile making higher final gearing. The ExiWolf 2.1's would be better for higher performance cornering and racing.

If your bike pushes the front tire in corners look for a more widely spaced knobby tire or softer compound with knobs that don't roll over than the ExiWolf or any WTB. maybe an Intense tire. I don't have that problem with my Tracer, it rails corners best with the same tires front and rear. I've found the Intense tires grip better and still wear very well, but roll slower.

- ray

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
trailblaster

If you are looking for sub 600gm tire, I recommend trailblaster 1.95. It is very good on hardpack single track. I ride my stumpjumper in canada single track and this tire grips like glue at very light weight.

·
Registered
11,771 Posts
Nbx

OregonMTB said:

Thanks!
2.3 It channels rocks and sand well and wears well. however the tire isnt all that forgiving and requires your attention

·
desert dweller
Ventana El Ciclon
1,644 Posts
IRC Mythos

In the Vegas area I've had great luck with the Mythos XC. It's light and has small knobs that last a long time and can be had for less than $20. I've been running Kenda Stickee Blue Grooves lately and they grip well - but, they seem to be wearing very fast and they are as heavy as a Tubeless Tire. I used to swear by panaracers but after shreading half a dozen rear FireXC Pros in less than four months I gave up on them. I haven't bought a Panaracer in 5 years now (after only running them for 6 or 7 years).

When my Kendas wear out I'm going back to closeout Mythos XCs or I'll experiment with the Hutchinson Spider Tubless.

mc

·
just along for the ride
3,033 Posts
I've been riding the Maxxis minnion 2.3 DH 40 duro, great stick and ramped knobbies so rolls excellent, fun all around for dry conditions but avoid mud at all costs. Its about 750g with a wire bead, the front specific is my new tire of choice for anything from sand to rocks, back tire hooks up for the climbs but wears a bit fast, great in off camber turns, cambria bike has them for 17$ killa deal, have fun!

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I am partial to the Kenda Karma stickee for hardpack.
It meets your weight requirements easily and is relatively cheap as well.

·
In my mind, I can do it!
2,365 Posts
mattbikeboy said:
In the Vegas area I've had great luck with the Mythos XC. It's light and has small knobs that last a long time and can be had for less than $20. I've been running Kenda Stickee Blue Grooves lately and they grip well - but, they seem to be wearing very fast and they are as heavy as a Tubeless Tire. I used to swear by panaracers but after shreading half a dozen rear FireXC Pros in less than four months I gave up on them. I haven't bought a Panaracer in 5 years now (after only running them for 6 or 7 years).

When my Kendas wear out I'm going back to closeout Mythos XCs or I'll experiment with the Hutchinson Spider Tubless.

mc
Well I am glad that you have found the Mythos to be a good tire for you but I can tell you that I tried them here in the Texas area where we have hardpack with loose sand and pebbles on the surface, rooted trails, somewhat rocky areas, tight turns and fast straights and those tires are the worst thing I have ever had on my bike. I had more washouts, slips, and falls than I care to remember and I had about 0 confidence in those tires. When I switched to the Fire XC Pro tires with the 127tpi the difference was unbelieveable. I am taking the same corners much faster with no slippage. The roots are just a bump now (also the Mythos had a bad habit of compressing and stopping on a root if going slow rather than going over it). I have confidence in my handling now where as before the confidence was being sapped.

I did however get some good scars that made people around the office Oooo and Ahhhh a lot so maybe they did have a plus there....

Glad you like them but as for me I can't recommend them for anyone that rides aggressive at all.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.