Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just punctured my new Minion. The hole is in within the tread zone near one of the side blocks. I had two use two Dynaplugs to get it to stop leaking. Is this an acceptable long term repair? Am I better off patching from the inside or should I just suck it up and replace the tire? TIA!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
317 Posts
I would keep riding it if it holds air. The tire may not have the same lifespan as an unpluged tire, but you should be able to get plenty of miles out of it.

If you are racing, it might be worth swapping tires for the race, but for normal riding i would go with it for as long as it is reliable.

·
Not a role model
1,312 Posts
The plug should handle light use, esp if the hole is small and the tire carcass isn't too flexible. Don't be trying to do high G turns, on dirt nor pavement...

Considering you have it in a Minion (regular casing, I assume), in a pinch flat area, and had to use two dynaplugs, I'd say that I have very little confidence in that tire being run tubeless for mtn biking. I doubt the tire will last long, with the threads in the casing torn/damaged that much. Those threads keep the tire's shape--when they tear, you may end up with bulges and wobbles in that general area.

As much as I hate wasting stuff, I found repairs to be relatively futile for my kind of riding, and I absolutely need effective sealant for my riding. I've since upgraded to beefier tires in the back.

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,812 Posts
I've plugged plenty of tires with good results. (215 lbs with gear, not gentile) Honestly I'm shocked at how often it's that easy. Also depends on what sealant you're using though.

If it's not near the bead/sidewall you might be OK. Minions are pretty tough but rider/terrain/riding style play a big role.

·
Registered
442 Posts
My last two rear tires: DHR Exo + and WTB Heavy casing Trail boss had me running tire bacon in the tread for 200-400 miles after early punctures wouldn't seal. I occasionally had to replace the bacon, but they held up under abuse.

These tires are more "supported" than exo in terms of casing, but I personally would still run it unless the tires flats often at the same point.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Anyone tried gluing the plugs in with rubber cement?
I used car tire plug kits with rubber cement. It works well to seal the hole most of the time. But tubeless MTB tires usually have sealant in them, which kinda makes rubber cement not that effective. Every tire I've used a dynaplug in, I've either kept in for good, or removed and added more sealant to effectively seal the puncture. I use thicker sealant, not that crappy Stan's stuff.

·
Co Springs
2,414 Posts
I'd go at it as a longer term fix unless you have special plans or a big trip / event coming up.

If it's just your norm routine of trails / trail rides and you wont get caught without a repair kit or spare tube meaning you'll avoid walking out many miles, you are not really taking a big risk. I once booted a side wall of a cheap tire and forgot about it for almost two years.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Yes, I have friends that do this (glue plugs) regularly. Just need to clean the area well before glueing.
That would involve removing the tire, rinsing out sealant, and mechanically cleaning/abrading that area of the tire, right? At that point, wouldn't a patch be better?

I've glued in plugs in moto tires, but that was with no sealant and much thicker and tougher tire construction.

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,812 Posts
Yes, I agree a patch would be what I would do too. I know friends that have successfully done both.

·
Not a role model
1,312 Posts
Patches will gradually come off too. The bond deteriorates with just plain vulcanizing rubber cement when the tire flexes, even with lots of surface area to spread the bond strength out. Brand name stuff like Rema Tip top also failed to be permanent. They will get you back to civilization though. I've gone as far as using clear RTV as an at-home permanent repair, to try saving a relatively new tire, but it wasn't good enough either. Ended up deforming the tire since it wasn't flexible enough (that or I sanded a bit too much).

The plug fell out the hole on the first full speed right hander I made on pavement (leaning with speed/Gs). It held on the trail though. I just got a bit too confident in it holding and found its limit. Muc-off sealant didn't cover for the patch failure nor act as adhesive (quite the opposite).

Patch was fine over night, but I ended up pumping up the tire after 45 minutes of riding, then 30 minutes, then 20, to compensate for slow air loss as the patch gradually failed, until ride buddies were showing concern with the tire, wanting a more permanent fix.

Repairs not holding, and the ride quality suffering slightly (felt like riding over large sidewalk crack with every revolution), just encouraged me to just get a tougher tire to avoid failure in the first place. Cush Core didn't make up for running a flimsy tire. Running new super gravity tire without cushcore successfully so far. Tried double down and that felt pretty solid too (actually held air well enough to do a 1-2 hr ride without sealant), but overcompensating with SG for now.

Attachments

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The tire is done. The air held long enough to finish the ride, but was flat within a couple of hours. Luckily I have an Aggressor 2.3 I can throw on for the time being.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
811 Posts
I had a puncture in my rear tire that no amount of plugs could keep sealed for more than a ride or two. I put one radial tire patch on the inside, and have had no problems with it in about 40 hours of riding since.

(hole was about 1/3", one of the knobs half tore off my 120 TPI Rekon EXO. Sealant is Orange Seal)

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
For big hole that will not hold a regular plug I have had great luck with car tire plugs. Take a bit of work to get them in, but once I have gotten one and had the tire is holding air, I have never had the plug fail at a later date.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
For big hole that will not hold a regular plug I have had great luck with car tire plugs. Take a bit of work to get them in, but once I have gotten one and had the tire is holding air, I have never had the plug fail at a later date.
Same here. I cut them short on the outside, glue them in with marine adhesive/sealant (or goop) adding a dollop on both inside/outside of casing as a preventative measure.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.