Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of tires are you guys running? I need some recommendations. I have a 2011 Ibis SL with WTB Mutanos (2.4) in the rear and WTB weirwolfs (2.3 )up front. I'm have a stans tubeless set up.

The weirwolfs and mutanos are the tires that came with the bike. So far I'm not happy with them. The front end wash's out a lot and it continues to make me nervous. They do not make me confident at all.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Minion DHF front High roller rear.

Been running this setup for years with excellent all around performance. Ive tried various sizes currently running 2.35 front and rear. I might give the High Roller 2 a try one day...

What terrain are you riding? This is key.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I am running WTB Wolverines F/R and I like them a lot. They don't have quite as much bite as I am looking for on the sides for really aggressively leaning into turns, but I got a deal on them and they have proven themselves worthy tires.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Been running this setup for years with excellent all around performance. Ive tried various sizes currently running 2.35 front and rear. I might give the High Roller 2 a try one day...

Loose dirt, hard packed, mud....a little bit of everything

·
Registered
418 Posts

I'm riding High Rollers, but have washed out the front a couple of times so was considering switching to a Minion DHF front.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Anyone else tried minions front and high roller rear? Minions wouldent be too much on a Ibis SL? I have them on the front and rear of my DH bike, but never thought about puttting some on my trail bike

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I run the reverse of that and they are awesome, even on really rough stuff. I run the 2.4 AM TCS Mutano up front at 25psi and the WW AM TCS out back at 28psi. The only thing I don't like is that the WW gets packed up with mud fairly quick. For the really wet months, I put on a mud specific tire.

FWIW, the front end will wash out if my pressure is too high. I suppose that is true of any tire though.

·
Registered
242 Posts
WTB Bronson 2.3 up front. Maxxis High Roller 2.35 out back.
Had a High Roller up front but didn't like that gap in the transition zone, Bronson does quite well up there.

Bike is Blur LT, riding in Park City (Basin, Round Valley, Glenwild, etc.).

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I highly recommend the Specialized Butcher 2.3 in either the SX casing or the control casing. I'm in the 200lb range so the SX casing works really well for me. Talk about a confidence inspiring tire.
I like it a lot more than the Minion and the High Roller, even though its kind of a Minion clone. It is super grippy and you can feel the edges really well. Rolls pretty fast too.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had nobby nic 2.4 performance for 2 months... was sliding on anything that was loose or wet, and had little grip over roots, gravels or rocks when it was dry, zero when it was wet... switched to minion DH 2.5 dual 60a... problem solved.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I highly recommend the Specialized Butcher 2.3 in either the SX casing or the control casing. I'm in the 200lb range so the SX casing works really well for me. Talk about a confidence inspiring tire.
I like it a lot more than the Minion and the High Roller, even though its kind of a Minion clone. It is super grippy and you can feel the edges really well. Rolls pretty fast too.
+1 for the butcher. my enduro came stock with a 2.3 control on the front and i love it.
the back has a 2.2 purgatory control which is also a great tire, but i think i want to try an eskar in the back next.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Conti Trail King 2.2 F&R. Excellent tire in multiple conditions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Here is another vote for the Trail Kings but in 2.4 front and back if you can fit it in the rear. Tires are HUGE but I'm amazed at how well they roll. I finally have had a chance to ride them in everything, from loose cocoa powder soil to mud and they are fantastic. I would also look at the specialized.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.