Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was running an Ardent up front which I never really loved and I currently have a Minion DHF up front (with Rekon out back). I am pretty happy with the Rekon but the Minion seems a bit much (especially for some of the things I am doing this fall, a bike packing trip and XC race). So what would be a good tire in between these two in 29x2.4 or 29x2.5? I am not married to Maxxis but I am not really wanting Schwalbe.

Edit: Rethinking this a little. Probably what I need is a more XC tire choice (roughly equal in grip to an Ardent). Leaning Rekon 2.6.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
What about a Rekon 2.6? Much better traction that any Ardent and rolls way better than a Minion. Or a 2.4/2.5 Rekon, but the 2.6 has more grip IMO and weighs close the the same.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
The new Dissector could be worth a look, should roll faster than a Minion but still corner well. I'd happily try one on the front of a trail bike.

I've also been loving my 2.6 Rekon as a front tire for XC racing and trail riding, so +1 on that suggestion.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am assuming a Rekon 2.6 will fit in a 2015 Fox Factory 34 Talas (non-boost)? That seems like a promising option. Then I have a Minion to put on for more aggressive rides.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If it seems like too much, start taking the turns and downs faster. It will then feel just right.
I mean it seems a bit slow rolling when a decent portion of the route is either gravel or paved and I don't think I am going to be going balls to the wall with a fully loaded bike while bikepacking and pushing a Minion seems crazy for the XC route I am doing. Just looking for a faster rolling option I can swap on and off for different conditions.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'll tell you what I told someone just a few minutes ago in another thread: get yourself a WTB Vigilante.
Isn't the Vigilante more or less equal to a Minion in terms of rolling resistance.

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,471 Posts
Somewhat depends on rim width. But that aside I'd say...

Maxxis Forkaster 2.6 up front in a 3C compound. It's a step up in grip/cornering traction over the Rekon and up front will roll almost, or just as, as fast as the Rekon.

In various sizes and applications I've run the DHF, DHR, Rekon, and Forkaster, and Ardent.

IMO the Forkaster is a great "middle ground" tire in terms of traction and falls in between the Rekon and Minions. At least for the stuff I'm riding.

The High Roller, IMO, is basically a Minion and to be used when soil conditions are prone to packing. The HR has a very open tread pattern that clears mud quickly, but is also a relatively slow roller. Unless you have such an issue I'm pretty sure, compared to the DHF, it will roll slower and corner not as well.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Isn't the Vigilante more or less equal to a Minion in terms of rolling resistance.
I don't know, and neither do you. Rolling resistance measurements on a steel drum don't tell you anything about mountain biking. In fact, rolling resistance measurements on a steel drum don't tell you squat about riding even on pavement. Do you want traction or not?

The Vigilante has lugs all the way across the tread and appropriate tread compound and design for the same kind of terrain where some would ride a Minion. You asked for an aggressive tire, and so I suggested one. If you want to minimize "rolling resistance," you probably want an XC tire. There's a ton of them out there. They scare the bejesus out of me on the loose terrain I ride, but if that's your thing, go for it. It will be nowhere near as aggressive as a Minion though, which is what the title asks for.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.