Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the bontrager race lite tube less disk rims
with bontrager jones acx tires.

I took these off to go tubless but I am waiting to get a part from a buddy.

This tire is an extremley tight fit on this rim. when I finally get the tire on it sits in the middle of the rim with a tube on or off. I can not get this tire to move to the outside and sit on the side of the wall. If I pump the tube up the tire sits uneaven on the rim. I have not tried to pump it up all the way though, would it eventually "pop" back into place?

Is there a trick to this madness?

or would buying a new tire (different brand) be an easier option?

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
Have you used soapy water on the beads? It is help the tire move into place. You can inflate the tire to the maximum on the sidewall (60psi) to help it seat. Let the tire sit overnight at the higher pressure before dropping it to your riding pressure. It with make the tire easier to mount and remove in the future.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
shiggy said:
Have you used soapy water on the beads? It is help the tire move into place. You can inflate the tire to the maximum on the sidewall (60psi) to help it seat. Let the tire sit overnight at the higher pressure before dropping it to your riding pressure. It with make the tire easier to mount and remove in the future.

Thanks! I assume this will help when i eventually go tubeless.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
shiggy said:

I tried this, The tire has now ben sitting pumped up to 60 psi but there is still a section on both sides of the tire where its almost kind of folded under the rim. there is only one section on both sides and it is under the rim about 5 inches long so the tire does not roll streight. Is it the tire now? I did not use soapy water yet. Will that really make the difference?

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
mtnbkr33 said:
I tried this, The tire has now ben sitting pumped up to 60 psi but there is still a section on both sides of the tire where its almost kind of folded under the rim. there is only one section on both sides and it is under the rim about 5 inches long so the tire does not roll streight. Is it the tire now? I did not use soapy water yet. Will that really make the difference?
USE THE SOAPY WATER!

GEEZE! Yes, it make a huge difference!

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
shiggy said:
Shiggy thank you for the help. The beads sealed last night and everything is a go.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts