Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I snapped up a pair of the Nukeproof ARD tire inserts since they came back into stock a few days ago, and it's time to put on a change of tires. When I bought the insert's I had considered putting one in the rear tire of both my bikes for the rim protection benefits. Now I'm having second thoughts, and I'm wondering if I'll feel any real benefits from putting the insert in my front tire on my main ride.

Both bikes are on wide (31mm and 35mm internal width) carbon rims. Despite being ~200lb ride weight and enjoying trails like Annadel's Rough Go with sometimes questionable line choice, I've avoided doing significant damage to them. I feel like my luck will eventually run out, and it seemed like a good time to get in on this insert bandwagon.

So what do you think? Is there anything to this "suspension improvement"/"sidewall support" talk, and does it matter on the front? I know I could try it and see what I think for myself, but I thought I'd submit to the NorCal hive mind before I mounted them up.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What type of tires do you normally run?
Minion 2.6 on the front/rear, though I'm gonna try an Aggressor 2.5 for the rear on the HD4 (my main ride) for the summer. E13 TRS front, Hans Dampf rear 2.3's for the Tracer (the backup/loaner).

I should add, I prefer to run somewhat higher pressures (25-27 rear, 23-25 front). I've run lower and mostly didn't care for the roll/vague feeling. I'm sure with the insert I will drop the pressure a bit, but suspect I'll stay toward the higher end of typical.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Exo casing?
I personally prefer to run DD or DH casing tires over tire inserts. In addition to better protecting your rim from hard impacts, it will also help prevent slashes from sharp rocks.

·
Not a role model
1,312 Posts
Yea, the idea of inserts + lightweight tire just doesn't work. Just get the better reinforced tire, IMO.

IMG_20190512_093957568.jpg
^ fresh plug needed back-to-back days. The 1-day old plug is just below, by the shoulder knobs.

Punctured this stupid lightweight Snakeskin tire twice, big enough that Muc Off Sealant wouldn't fix it. A thick plug fit in the recent hole 4 times... this trail didn't bother my Minion EXO tires, but I did puncture an EXO tire enough to need a plug. Plugs aren't permanent repairs. These tires are trashed... patching them don't work, I tried. The tires flex enough that the patches come undone over time. Sanding the carcass, to prepare for patching, can lead to the tire having a hernia.

IMG_20190514_061456012.jpg
IMG_20190514_063319437.jpg
^ this fix held air, but riding progressively undid the rubber cement. Lasted less than 1 hr on the trail.

IMG_20190515_084644148.jpg
^ decided to use clear RTV to clamp down the sides a bit better... didn't get to test this fix because:

IMG_20190516_164655113.jpg
^ tire inflated, but found another hole (dirty spot just below center of pic), and if you look carefully you can see the tire has a hernia (the center line of the tire being all weird may give it away)

I also like running tires on the firm side, since I'm not too picky with line choice and just point the bike in the general direction without fighting/forcing it. I do notice the damping effect from CushCore, enough to run front and rear for this effect, but can't vouch for the competitors.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Well considering the ARD does nothing for sidewall support, I wouldn't see any benefit of fitting them to the front if you're not regularly killing front tyres. Stick em in the back on both bikes.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Tried several combos and have settled on lightweight Pepi noodles front and rear, with thin casing but aggressive tires, and dropping air pressure about 4psi f&r.
I ride tons of rocks and have only suffered 1 tread puncture over the last 6 months which is on par for me.
The Pepi's really firms up the sidewalls and protects the wheels.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
604 Posts
Front and rear definitely. Don't forget your wheels are not indestructible just because of a little foam in them. I just bent a rim pretty good with one in.
I like the ARD. Its a good compromise between nothing and the heavier cushcore for me.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Appreciate the perspectives. I think the call is to install the rear as intended and take it out for a ride. If I notice any ride quality benefits I'll make the call to try the front or if it's just extra insurance for the rear wheel. I'm not really that hard on rims, and my current setup more or less suits me, but trying new things is part of the fun. I guess if it ain't broke, fix it till it is broke.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts