Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So on my lightweight more XC/Trail bike, I have some maxxis advantage 2.1s. Love the weight and how they corner, but they absolutely hate running straight. They feel like they're tugging/turning the bars and waffling side to side. I ran it backwards and it got worse. More noticable at speed or on pavement.

I'm thinking its the angled dashed knobs? Specifically the part that juts into the transition channels? I'm toying with the idea of cutting those out of the transition channels - they'd end up being about half the width.

What say yee, tire gurus (or anyone)?

·
Registered
312 Posts
I trim mine down with toe nail clippers mainly near the sidewall.You could try clipping off the corners of the knobs first this should make it a bit less squirrly.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
So on my lightweight more XC/Trail bike, I have some maxxis advantage 2.1s. Love the weight and how they corner, but they absolutely hate running straight. They feel like they're tugging/turning the bars and waffling side to side. I ran it backwards and it got worse. More noticable at speed or on pavement.

I'm thinking its the angled dashed knobs? Specifically the part that juts into the transition channels? I'm toying with the idea of cutting those out of the transition channels - they'd end up being about half the width.

What say yee, tire gurus (or anyone)?
Maybe. But I think it may just make it corner worse without affecting the (lack of) tracking.

More likely it is the rim width and/or inflation pressure you are running.

I have used the 2.1 and 2.4 on 24-28mm rims without noticing tracking issues, and I am usually pretty sensitive to tire traits.

·
Saving lives with knives.
959 Posts
To answer your initial question, yes I have had great success modifying tires. Most recently it was a pair of specialized Captains that I cut the a sipe down the center blocks of the tire which worked great. I've also sand down center blocks of a nevegal to make it a nevegal low tread-- that wasn't as affective as I was hoping...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts