Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Say you want to roll down the road 20 miles, turn right and roll down a track that gets worse and worse, the gravel runs out and the mud starts, and I mean the guy in the 4x4 got stuck mud.

Over due for a new rim and tire, might as well ask for advice, before I click on something.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

to get here you need tires for road and mud. No electric nothing, what you bring is what you have.

noapathy
fade awayu goes the dynamite!

This message is hidden because noapathy is on your ignore list.
YES

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Tough call, as any choice will be good for one but not another.

Lugs wear fast on pavement as you've probably found out.

*Find some knobby tires on super sale & buy many.

*Buy a more road/gravel friendly tire & buy a small foldable shovel & saw. Clear a path & make a narrow trail to the left or right of said 4X4 mud.

·
Shartacular Spectacular
443 Posts
What kind of rim width are we talking? What’s the max tire width you can run? This sounds like a no-win. What’s the “bigger obstacle” to getting there? How many miles of that mud are we talking? That 20 miles of road, if paved, is going to be miserable on mud lugs not to mention that it’s going to shred a mud tire in short order.

I don’t have nor have I ridden one, but conceptually speaking, the bike setup that seems to offer the best compromise would be a wide plus size tire, or better yet, a fat bike. You can get a tire with a relatively low tread profile profile in a harder compound, while still offering a ton surface area and ability to not sink so deep in the mud. Pump it up for the road section, then let out some air and go mud surfing.

·
Bicyclochondriac.
15,213 Posts
Depends on whether you want to be slow as molasses on the road, carrying your bike through the mud, or some combination of both.

·
Registered
341 Posts
says the guy with 8,877 posts¿
ever make a helpfull post?
Oh come on, there's validity to mack's response due to the abnormal conditions in the question.
Nevertheless I'd say it depends on the distances that you'll cover over the differing terrains. If lots of mud, get a wetscream and enjoy the workout and massage on the way to the mud.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.