Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 epic and just finished building a set of Xt hubs with mavic 717 disc rims for it. I run about 200# and an intermediate level rider. In my neck of the woods the condition is usually wet and muddy with plenty of rocks and roots. Plenty of fire roads in between.

Any tire reccomendations?

How wide is pratical with the 717's?

I know the mavic 717's are on the narrow side, almost regret building thjem now. Im also toying with the idea of going to stan's. My riding buddies swear by it and always on me to use it, just afraid to mess up my tires if it doesnt work out.

Suggestions....

·
Registered
832 Posts
I had 2.25 trailbears on my oem 17mm mavic rims - same width as yours - and they were decent. Right now, I have a schwalbe fat albert 2.35 in front and 2.25 in rear. They fit fine and are an excellent new enlgand tire (great grip, predictable cornering, decent rolling), but they are not cheap at all.

·
Registered
763 Posts
spepic said:
Any suggestions on the front and rear widths?
Well I guess it depends slightly on the frame you'll be using. I run 2.1s on my hardtail (full rigid bike) mostly because that's what I had and I usually run it on smoother trails. My FS rig which I guess you would say is AM/agressive XC I run 2.35 Nevey's. If I had my choice I would say stick with a 2.25 or 2.35, preferably with a 2.35 min. up front to soften the ride and bite on turn in.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
The Epic is primarily designed as a racing frame and I would not recommend going much bigger than 2.1 tires especially on 17mm. rims which the XC717 are.

I live in North Jersey and conditions are as you describe at certain times of the year. I'm not really familiar with conditions further north. Do you not have dryer conditions like us during the summer? The roots and rocks are the same. There is no tire that is really all purpose. What I'd recommend for now and mildly wet conditions is one of the following, all of which I like a lot: Specialized Resolution ( I'm using them at the moment ) Continental Explorer or Kenda Nevegal ( although they have a bit higher rolling resistance ). There probably are other good tires but I have personal good experience with these.

I'd stay away from DIY tubeless. I've seen them fail once to often, even with light people. Check out this thread.

Ronnie.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Ronnie said:
The Epic is primarily designed as a racing frame and I would not recommend going much bigger than 2.1 tires especially on 17mm. rims which the XC717 are.
Ronnie.
I'd beg to differ on that. My mavics are the same width and I'm running a 2.35 tire with no problems. The 2007 Prophet comes with 17mm rims and maxxis 2.35 ignitors. I wouldn't go any wider though.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Bubba74 said:
I'd beg to differ on that. My mavics are the same width and I'm running a 2.35 tire with no problems. The 2007 Prophet comes with 17mm rims and maxxis 2.35 ignitors. I wouldn't go any wider though.
Well, to each his own. My Resolutions are 2.3 on Mavic XM819 rims and I won't go much wider. If you look on the Mavic site you will see that the XC717 is classified as a cross country rim. They do not recommend it for bigger than 2.1.

Ronnie.

·
never ender
1,314 Posts
Well, I haven't ridden in New England yet, but last year I lived in Hawaii where the conditions were pretty similar to what I imagine NE riding to be...technical, sloppy and slippery most of the time. I found that the Maxxis High Roller and Hutchinson Barracuda worked best for me there. The square profile of those tires helped them to dig in through soft corners, and the wide tread blocks shed mud pretty well but still gripped on slick rocks. Barracuda 2.1 rear and 2.3 front combo would be a decently fast setup and give you grip to spare.

BTW, I'm moving to Massachusetts in a couple of weeks, and taking my High Rollers with me. I'm also planning on trying out those WTB Stouts. I have a Specialized Enduro 2.4 that I might try as well, since it has a similar profile to the Barracuda and High Roller, but it's not so great on hard surfaces like rocks and roots.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Bubba74 said:
The 2007 Prophet comes with 17mm rims and maxxis 2.35 ignitors. I wouldn't go any wider though.
By the way I meant to ask, how do you like the Maxxis Ignitor. I was using Continental Vertical UST (2.3) tires which are basically a fatter version of the Explorer. I needed new tires and wanted to try something different. I was looking at the Ignitor and the Resolution which was a brand new tire so I decided to try the Resolution. Maybe I'll try the Ignitor next time. They are a lot more expensive though.

Ronnie.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Ronnie said:
By the way I meant to ask, how do you like the Maxxis Ignitor. I was using Continental Vertical UST (2.3) tires which are basically a fatter version of the Explorer. I needed new tires and wanted to try something different. I was looking at the Ignitor and the Resolution which was a brand new tire so I decided to try the Resolution. Maybe I'll try the Ignitor next time. They are a lot more expensive though.

Ronnie.
I actually have never tried them. I have a 2006 Prophet and it came with 2.25 trailbears. Right now I'm running Schwalbe fat alberts. I love them, but they're not cheap.

BTW, I know that mavic says that the xc717's should not go bigger than 2.1. I always thought that odd because they're the same width as my oem xm117's. My old bike had xc717's with 2.25 tires, but you're right about the 2.1 max size thing. :)

·
mini clyde
166 Posts
spepic said:
Any suggestions on the front and rear widths?
I've run 2.35 Nevs on 17mm, 19mm and 21mm wide rims. I didn't like them on the 17s at all, front or rear. It'd be hard for me to tell any difference between the 19s and 21s, for what it's worth I put them back on the 21s and plan on leaving them there. I run a Stick-E rear in the winter with at DTC front, DTC on both ends the rest of the year. I live in central NC, we have red clay to go with our rocks and roots.

This summer I've been running Hutchinson Spiders on the 19s, too, both 2.3 and 2.1s. They roll great, but don't have much grip on wet roots and rocks compared to the Nevs, they'll get the winter off.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.