Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Converting my 29" wheeled hardtail singlespeed to a commuter (internal geared hub :thumbsup:). But, I'm struggling with tire selection.

I'll be commuting on a combination of paved road and bike path, which is composed of dirt, gravel and rocks. It also gets wet here.

I'm looking for the things in a commuter tire that I like in a MTB tire, namely high air volume, supple sidewalls and reasonably lightweight. And, I'll be running these tubeless. I've been thinking about the...

- Schwalbe Big Apple
- Continental Comfort Contact (see lots of Conti's on commuters here)
- Michelin Pilot City Tracker

Unfortunately, these all are pretty chunky - as heavy as 1000g!?!! I've looked at a few cyclocross tires, but I'm hoping for a fatter tire than what I've seen.

Maybe I should be shopping in the MTB tire section and just looking for a 1.9 or 2.0 with few/no center treads.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Also, anyone who's had experience with the above tire choices, please let me know what you think. Thanks!

E

·
Registered
210 Posts
The lightest tire I know of in that category is the Schwalbe Marathon Supreme -
Marathon Supreme HS 382 | Schwalbe North America

Comes in 2.0" for 26" rims, but 40c max in the 29er size. Hmm.

I saw the Marathon Racers but the size thing is similar -
Marathon Racer HS 429 | Schwalbe North America

I don't quite understand their sizing either, they have a 28" tire in 2" but not a 29er or 700c? Are 28" tires suddenly popular or something? I don't quite get it...I might try emailing Schwalbe and asking them.

·
Bedwards Of The West
5,451 Posts
I'm using the 2.35 Schwalbe Big Apples on my rigid 29er commuter. I ran them tubeless until I picked up a big nail that left a hole that I can't get tubeless goo to seal... so now the front is tubeless, the rear has a tube. My commute is partly dirt road, partly paved. I have a singletrack option route also. I've been happy with the BA's in all conditions. Obviously you can get them to break loose in the dirt...they are a slick, but the volume makes them much more predictable and less skittish than a narrower tire would be. On singletrack, they do well except when I get out of the saddle to tackle a climb. My trail is full of pine needles on top of packed dirt, and you have to think about balancing your weight to avoid spinning them out on a climb. Again...it's a slick. They really shine on bumpy dirt road and cracked up bike lane conditions...they absorb everything.
Mine have well over 2000 miles on them, and going strong.
I ride all winter...wet, slush, snow, sleet, rain, etc. they are great in the wet. Not good in the ice :lol:

They are really heavy. I think of it as a training aid.

Schwalbe calls their 700c/29er tires 28's....it's a closer dimention than 29, which is an estimated outer diameter measurement. The rim size is closer to 28. So in Schwalbe-land, 28 = 29er. My Big Apples say 28x2.35 on them.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I liked my Marathon Cross on my CX bike, but it was only 40c (said 38c but not). In my experience with schwalbe tires the all do really well on dirt, but the Cross was that bit better in lose stuff like sand and gravel.

·
Ariolimax columbianus
1,641 Posts
i like the looks of the schwalbe dureme, marathon extreme too. the sidewalls on the marathon cross are a bit thin, although i've got a couple thousand on one, commuting, touring, general riding, including trails.

·
Did I catch a niner+?
2,957 Posts
Something as simple as a WTB Nano is all you would really need. They last forever and will get the job done with the same rolling resistance as any of these others tires minus the Big Apple I suppose. If that does not work you can also look at the Conti RK 2.2 and still be lighter. I have a set of 28x1.75 Smart Sams (700x47c) that I am looking to part with also if that might be something you are interested in, used them twice.

I use a Nanoraptor on a 26er commuter and they show hardly any wear after 2 years of steady use.

EDIT: WTB Vulpine would also work (have a set of those also I do not use ;) )

·
Registered
19 Posts
I put a rigid fork and Schwable Marathon Mondial 700 x 40c (about 1.6") on my 29er. Oh.... well it used to be a 29er, now maybe it's a 28.5er. It's Great!!!! I use it as an in betweener of my MTB and road bike. I ride it on pavement, crushed limestone trails and hardpack trails. It's my wet weather trainer and winter rider.

·
weirdo
6,223 Posts
I don't quite understand their sizing either, they have a 28" tire in 2" but not a 29er or 700c? Are 28" tires suddenly popular or something? I don't quite get it...I might try emailing Schwalbe and asking them.
Paul, the names that different people call tire sizes by (26 inch, 700c, 650B, 28 inch...) are really confusing and kind of arbitrary. What roadies in the US call "700" is actually the same size that many North American MTBers call "29 inch" and is often known in Europe as "28 inch" (not to be confused with the old roadseter "28 inch" tires :madman:). The clear way to know what size you`re ordering is by the bead seat diameter (refered to as either ISO or ETRTO), which is an actual measurement in milimeters. The Schwalbe site gives that info in their tables. The 29er you`re miost likely looking for is ISO diameter 622. The width is also indicated in milimeters, so "28 x 2.0 = 29 x 2.0 = 50-622. Feel better now :)

For more hed slapping fun, you can read Sheldon Brown`s detailed explanation on the matter:
Tire Sizing Systems

·
Registered
210 Posts
Paul, the names that different people call tire sizes by (26 inch, 700c, 650B, 28 inch...) are really confusing and kind of arbitrary. What roadies in the US call "700" is actually the same size that many North American MTBers call "29 inch" and is often known in Europe as "28 inch" (not to be confused with the old roadseter "28 inch" tires :madman:). The clear way to know what size you`re ordering is by the bead seat diameter (refered to as either ISO or ETRTO), which is an actual measurement in milimeters. The Schwalbe site gives that info in their tables. The 29er you`re miost likely looking for is ISO diameter 622. The width is also indicated in milimeters, so "28 x 2.0 = 29 x 2.0 = 50-622. Feel better now :)

For more hed slapping fun, you can read Sheldon Brown`s detailed explanation on the matter:
Tire Sizing Systems
thanks!!

Though - lol - O.m.g. What a pain in the...they list "700 x 40C", then it jumps to 28 x 2.00.

If you're right then it looks like they do sell a 2.0" 700c Schalbe Marathon Supreme after all - 11600181, 50-622, 28 x 2.00, HD SpeedGuard, 654 g.

·
Maaaaan
4,259 Posts
I used to be a Conti or Specialized man when it came to touring / commuting tires.
I now love Serfas.
They are faster, lighter for a given width and have true puncture protection that works, without being harsh riding or slow.
Most of their tires are reasonably priced as well.

Serfas 2011

·
since 4/10/2009
35,271 Posts
I used to be a Conti or Specialized man when it came to touring / commuting tires.
I now love Serfas.
They are faster, lighter for a given width and have true puncture protection that works, without being harsh riding or slow.
Most of their tires are reasonably priced as well.

Serfas 2011
I am just running the basic Speshy Crossroads tire because the fancy ones are just bloody expensive and I'm not going to drop huge coin on a commuting tire that I'll wear out fairly quickly. I have not seen Serfas tires anywhere before, but those look good. The Vida hybrid tire looks a lot like what I'm using now, and the price is very right given the feature set regarding flat protection and whatnot.

·
Maaaaan
4,259 Posts
I am just running the basic Speshy Crossroads tire because the fancy ones are just bloody expensive and I'm not going to drop huge coin on a commuting tire that I'll wear out fairly quickly. I have not seen Serfas tires anywhere before, but those look good. The Vida hybrid tire looks a lot like what I'm using now, and the price is very right given the feature set regarding flat protection and whatnot.
It's funny, I bought some Sefas Secas about a year back, because I couldn't find any Contis or Michelin tires that I liked. They were just supposed to be a temporary thing but I ended up loving them.
I'm just using the wire bead version at about $25 apiece. Even those use dual compound technology.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've ridden Kenda Karma's in a 1.9 that were good for commuting. They are not at all a slick, but they roll very well. I'm currently on Schwalbe Marathon Racers in a 40mm (which is actually a 38mm). I bought these at the same time that I got a set of Schwalbe Marathon Duremes in a 42mm (actually 40mm). Originally the Racers were going to be for my wife and the Duremes for me. But she doesn't ride much, so I ended up kind of appropriating the Racers. I like them much better than the Duremes. Especially on gravel. If you are looking at those two options from Schwalbe, I would definitely give the nod to the Racers.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Here's what I'm using:

Continental Bicycle -Country Plus

In the 700 X 37c size, mounted tubeless on Stan's Arch rims. My commute is predominantly pavement, but these tires are still my "trainer" tires for everyday rides. I live in a rural area and ride a lot of township or state forest roads that are gravel or tar-and chip. My Giant TCX 'cross bike has more than enough clearance to fit them, too.
They're heavy, and you can feel the weight as you're getting up to speed, but I can vouch for they're durability thus far.

I only use my regular "road" wheels with 23c tires for fast group rides now.

Now I just have to find some fenders that can cover them!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.