Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve always run dual compound tires in the rear, last few years it has been 2.5” aggressors but I see a lot of DHR and Dissectors in 3C around. I am in Southern California so it all tends to be dry, loose over hard, rock, or hardpack. Any benefit to 3C tires in these conditions?

· high pivot witchcraft
6,721 Posts
I have a DC 2.5 Aggressor on the rear of my hardtail.

For “dry, loose over hard, rock, or hardpack”, which is also what my conditions are, the 3C MaxTerra Dissector on the rear of my full suspension absolutely destroys the DC Aggressor on anything but flowy blue trails.

The DC Aggressor on anything steep is pathetic for braking. I don’t mind it for cornering or climbing but trying to control your speed in the dry loose steeps is almost impossible. Scary AF.

The MaxxGrip Assegai/MaxxTerra Dissector combo is the best I have ever run in those conditions. I prefer the Assegai over the DHF (which is the front tire on my hardtail), and the Dissector, not only over the DC Aggressor, but also over my trusted old friend, the DHR2, which is just not worth the RR for me. Crazy, I know.

· Registered
2,434 Posts
For pretty much any place in SoCal, DC on the rear works perfectly fine for me... including steeps. It seems to drag a little less on the climbs and lasts much longer. Having knobs is better then none. A maxxterra DHF might last me a few weeks on the rear before the side knobs are blown out, where as a DC Aggressor will last a few months.

Any minor gains in traction aren't worth the short service life on the rear IMO. Front... now that's a totally different story.

· Registered
1,872 Posts
DC has noticeable improvement on rolling resistance over MaxxTerra, and IME has much better durability. For my all around trail bike, I’m probably going to keep buying DC for the rear because I can get a whole season out of them. This saves me money so I can keep fresh ultra soft tires on the front where it matters.😉. I won’t use DCs on the front.

Some of the comments about people sliding all over the place on the rear end are puzzling to me (and not just in this thread). I don’t have that problem with DC Aggressors, DHR IIs, DHFs on the back, etc; and we’ve had some **** conditions this year thanks to no rain. Then again, I use soft front tires and use A LOT of front brake when I need to.

· high pivot witchcraft
6,721 Posts
DC has noticeable improvement on rolling resistance over MaxxTerra, and IME has much better durability. For my all around trail bike, I'm probably going to keep buying DC for the rear because I can get a whole season out of them. This saves me money so I can keep fresh ultra soft tires on the front where it matters.?. I won't use DCs on the front.

Some of the comments about people sliding all over the place on the rear end are puzzling to me (and not just in this thread). I don't have that problem with DC Aggressors, DHR IIs, DHFs on the back, etc; and we've had some **** conditions this year thanks to no rain. Then again, I use soft front tires and use A LOT of front brake when I need to.
We have differing experiences. No big deal.

· Registered
1,302 Posts
Never had an issue with DC rear. IMO it’s not any different from a 3C in dry dusty and it lasts longer so I go with the DC if I want a maxxis tire in the rear. Intermediate/advanced rider on an enduro bike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· high pivot witchcraft
6,721 Posts
I’ve done a 180 from my post above.

2.5 MaxxGrip EXO+ Assegai on the front, 2.4 MaxxTerra EXO+ Dissector on the rear. I bought 2 of each at the same time.

Every single side lug on my Dissector was 75% ripped off within a month and a half. I wasn’t checking them and then all of a sudden, boom. I noticed the lugs almost completely ripped off. Who knows how long they were like that. I was blown away and concerned about my safety, and not getting stranded 20k in the middle of griz country, so I replaced both tires right away.

My Assegai was not too bad, but I thought WTF. My buddy wanted to try an Assegai so I gave him my take-off.

I’m definitely going to keep using MaxxGrip Assegais. My God are those a beautiful creation. I will likely switch to an Aggressor on the rear. I’m running a DHF/Aggressor combo on my Honzo. The DC Aggressor breaks loose way sooner than anything else I have run, but that’s part of the fun with it. Plus it seems to last forever.

Apart from the side lugs of my Dissector disintegrating (every single one of them, both sides), the Dissector was a great tire. Too bad it’s so delicate.

On a side note, that MaxxGrip Assegai is so sticky that it picks up stones and slams them into my downtube. I have RideWrap on there. I hope it’s enough.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts