Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
If you think you can
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure what to choose. I have Panaracer FR 2.4's on there now, and they have served me pretty good. And the red looks cool with my blue frame. But they need to be changed pretty soon and I have heard some people don't like them.
Are there any previous threads explaining the diferent tire types and their best uses. I would like to go tubeless with my outlaws too.
Or does anyone have any suggestions?
Are there anymore really good tires with red walls?

Thanks in advance.

·
N* Bomber Crew
4,271 Posts
I run Outlaws and Minion DHF and DHR in the 2.5 Size and 60A Compound and I use ghetto tubeless...so it works if you're looking for a reliable and good setup.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Need way more information

What type of riding are you doing? What sort of conditions to you ride in (sandy, loamy, hard pack, wet)? What bike are you putting them on? You worried about weight or rolling resistance? How heavy is too heavy?

I really like the new intense ex/dc stuff. I run a 2.5 909 ex/dc front and a 2.35 edge on the rear. Very, very happy with that combo on my very heavy build trail bike. For DH bike, i run 2.7 minion super tacky front and a 2.5 minion 60a front tire on the rear. Happy with that setup also.

·
I gotta pee
335 Posts
gbvan said:
Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5 Super Tacky in the front and High Roller 2.5 3C in the rear works excellent. :thumbsup:
Best tire choice i've run so far.. I'm runnin 60d all the way around though but my conditions are dry dirt medium pack and some loose dirt mostly in the burms which sucks.. But these tires make it so easy

·
If you think you can
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
aenema said:
What type of riding are you doing? What sort of conditions to you ride in (sandy, loamy, hard pack, wet)? What bike are you putting them on? You worried about weight or rolling resistance? How heavy is too heavy?

I really like the new intense ex/dc stuff. I run a 2.5 909 ex/dc front and a 2.35 edge on the rear. Very, very happy with that combo on my very heavy build trail bike. For DH bike, i run 2.7 minion super tacky front and a 2.5 minion 60a front tire on the rear. Happy with that setup also.
Thanks for the info so far. As for the trails I ride, there is a little bit of everything. One trail is mostly slickrock, others hard packed, others very rocky with loose dirt. I'm going to mammoth in a few weeks, so whatever those trails consist of too. I'll be putting them on my 05 coiler. And I'm not to sure how heavy is too heavy. The panaracers are the onlyone's I've run sofar.
Hopefully that can help.
And I apreciate everyone else's input also.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Don't think you will find many fans of the Panaracer

I would not really recommend that tire. They were popular in XC form but what makes a good XC tire does not really parallel with DH applications.

I would recommend this tire in the 2.5 for front
http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=17285&category=187

and this tire in 2.35 for rear
http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=17287&category=187

Good weight for its solid Downhill performance, little heavier but not too much more so than the Panaracers you are used to. Seems to roll really well also. If you are wanting ultimate traction and don't care about weight, go with the Maxxis options people have mentioned

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.