Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
I know 100mm rim is not ideal for summer time use. I use my Blackborow a lot to bike around the neighborhood with my 2 kids, jumping curb, riding grass and manualling. Much more fun than my FS29 or Cyclocross bike. But everytime I roll on the pavement I wish I had a summer set of tire to save my Lou/Lou setup for winter. I would like my summer tires to shine in trail riding as well since I think it will be 50-50 between my fatbike and FS when trail networks are dry and open...
Should I go with a smaller tire (I don't know how small you can go on clownshoe) or stick with 4.8 but with a smaller tread patern (knard 4.8?).

·
Registered
198 Posts
I've been using 4.8 Knards on my Blackborow the last week. Love them. Roll real nice and still plenty of traction. The Lous will go on for snow. Tubeless without hassle.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Been using my 4.8 knards for almost a month and love them. Gonna try going tubeless here when I get all the stuff in next week.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
4.8 Knards, Schwalbe Jumbo Jims 4.8, Big Fat larry's, or Ground Controls.
Do you feel the Ground Controls have more rolling resistance than Knard or Jumbo Jims?

Been thinking of taking my Ground Controls off and saving them for winter use.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Semi-related: what are thoughts on D4s or Nates on 100mm rims, for snow/winter use?

·
aka bOb
8,813 Posts
Do you feel the Ground Controls have more rolling resistance than Knard or Jumbo Jims?

Been thinking of taking my Ground Controls off and saving them for winter use.
Yes some, I loved the GCs in the summer but they are pricey to wear out and they do roll a little harder but I never had an issue with em.

·
Banned
3,796 Posts
Semi-related: what are thoughts on D4s or Nates on 100mm rims, for snow/winter use?
Too square of a tire profile imo. Self steer at low pressures will be more noticeable. 3.8-4.0 handle way better on my 65's than they did on my 80's so i can only imagine that hundos would be no bueno. Wide rims deserve big tires

·
Registered
155 Posts
I've had good luck in your scenario (goofing around town with kids + ~30 mi/week on trails) with On One Floaters mounted on 100mm front, but only 80mm rear. Have not had a problem with self-steer on the CA hardpack trails I normally ride (they're really just shy of concrete).

Their performance, price and durability have been great for the Bay Area trails and fireroads I have been using them on.

Good luck,
Paul

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys! I've search mainly for knards 4.8 and jumbo jim 4.8. It's gonna come down to availability. Unable to find jumbo jim anywhere. Was able to find knards online but I'll check with my lbs tomorow...

·
Registered
239 Posts
I feel like a broken record lately saying this but the 4.8 KnArDs are insane summer tires. You will not be dissapointed. Had them for about a month now in everything from dirt, sand, rock, pavement, boardwalk and they shined everywhere. Such a quick accelerating tire that rolls super faster with massive traction in the turns in all trail surfaces/conditions.

image_9.jpg

image_8.jpg

image.jpg

·
Registered
519 Posts
I feel like a broken record lately saying this but the 4.8 KnArDs are insane summer tires. You will not be dissapointed. Had them for about a month now in everything from dirt, sand, rock, pavement, boardwalk and they shined everywhere. Such a quick accelerating tire that rolls super faster with massive traction in the turns in all trail surfaces/conditions.
Have you had a chance to try the JJ 4.8's yet? I'm willing to bet they are lighter, faster, and cheaper! The only up side to the Knards for me would be tread life, but even that is just speculation. Even if that's true, I'd still stick with the JJ's!

·
Registered
182 Posts
I'd loved to have gone with the Jumbo Jims but they are about impossible to get ahold of in 4.8s that I've seen. Almost bought a pair on ebay but they were quite a bit more then my Knards.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I'd loved to have gone with the Jumbo Jims but they are about impossible to get ahold of in 4.8s that I've seen. Almost bought a pair on ebay but they were quite a bit more then my Knards.
Really... I got mine online no problems back in April. I just sold one not to long ago as well. I believe the 4.8's have been easier to get then the 4.0's. I thought I read that people are having troubles getting the Knard 4.8.... could be wrong.

Of course you have to go with what you can get your hands on. I was making the decision based on if both were available at the same time.

·
Banned
3,796 Posts

View attachment 988555

View attachment 988556

View attachment 988557
Mayhem fan huh? Nice:). I've ridden a bunch. Currently on a 5'8 v3 rocket as my one board ec quiver. Hydroflex.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts