Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Weekend Warrior
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this may be a little off here, but what tires are you using. My rear tire is getting dangerously bold and I almost bought a Specialized Captain. But in the meanwhile I looked at other alternatives and now I'm not sure what to get. I like the WeirWolf, the Small Block 8 and some others but I like how easy my Specialized Fasttrak LK rolls.

I just had my ass handed to me at Sandhill and it was a mixture of physic, poor tire choice, bad cassette and a bend dérailleur. I likd the Captain as it looks like it has enough grip but is not to intrusive, i guess it could still roll easy. I'm thinking of mixing the tires. Captain in the rear and a Fasttrak in the front, but I need some input before i cough up $100 bucks.

What are your experiences on Florida terrain and what would you recommend.

·
\m/{-_-}\m/
726 Posts
I've been meaning to start a thread like this too but you beat me to it. I like a fast rolling tire but I'm tired of getting my ass kicked in all of the sand we have in this state. I'm looking forward to seeing some replies.

·
Registered
388 Posts
tires

Hey,
I am currently riding on the tires enduro came with, specialized enduro pro 2.3. I did carve some of the meat off of the center knobs to help them roll better and I am now thrilled with them. If I was purchasing new tires, I love the weirwolfs and any other light, lower profile 2.3 tires. The 2.3 definitely grabs better in the sand and allows you to run less tire pressure than a 2.1 when it hasn't rained for a bit and things are especially beachy. If you are gram counting, my opinion is probably worth crap.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I've been trying the Maxxiss Ignitor tires lately. They work very good, except in sand. But I was a bonehead and grabbed the wrong tires, 1.95's instead of 2.35's. I'm gonna give a set of the 2.35's a go this weekend at Santos, see how they do. I ran the Continental Exp Pros for quite a long time, and they worked pretty well in all conditions. There are tires that may do better in the mud, but all around they worked pretty well.

·
Jackalope Hunter
934 Posts
Maxxis High Roller 2.35s. I run USTs but either way they are a great tire. Low rolling resistance and good for sand or loose terrain. Plus they shed mud well. Maxxis tires rock.

·
Papa T
273 Posts
2.4 WTB Mutanoraptors work great at sandy Graham Swamp. They are light for their size with medium tread and pretty light on the rolling resistance. The excellent width floats well on the sand and they have side knobs that protrude past the casing for aggressive turns. The only time they leave me hanging is in muddy conditions, otherwise they are great all around tires.

·
Weekend Warrior
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I see a lot of people are using fat tires, like 2.3 and up. Maybe my problem is 2.0 wide tire i'm currently using. Don't take me wrong. All year the 2.0 FastTrak is awesome but in the summer with loose and soggy conditions it's really kicking my as. I'm also really worried about getting a fat tire because my physic is not as good as I like it to be and I associate fatter tires with more rolling resistance, but maybe I'm wrong.

I'm upgrading to disks over the next couple of weeks as I already have troubles getting my tires to wedge out of my V-brakes (I have the much larger Koolstop Pads and the clearance, well there isn't any). So once the disks are on I might be able to try a 2.3

The questions now is just which one.... I'll check them out. Thanks

·
Jackalope Hunter
934 Posts
daleksic said:
I see a lot of people are using fat tires, like 2.3 and up. Maybe my problem is 2.0 wide tire i'm currently using. Don't take me wrong. All year the 2.0 FastTrak is awesome but in the summer with loose and soggy conditions it's really kicking my as. I'm also really worried about getting a fat tire because my physic is not as good as I like it to be and I associate fatter tires with more rolling resistance, but maybe I'm wrong.

I'm upgrading to disks over the next couple of weeks as I already have troubles getting my tires to wedge out of my V-brakes (I have the much larger Koolstop Pads and the clearance, well there isn't any). So once the disks are on I might be able to try a 2.3

The questions now is just which one.... I'll check them out. Thanks
For most XC riding there is no reason to ride anything bigger than a 2.35 due to rolling resistance but I wouldn't go much smaller either. I just think sub 2.35 tires are squirrely for anything tech and tend to pinchflat more. Just make sure that your frame will allow a 2.35 tire or you will have wasted money on tires that don't clear your seat/chain stays. Oh yeah, disks are the way to go too imho.

·
Weekend Warrior
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think I narrowed it down to the following choices:

the 2.1 or 2.3 weirwolf as suggested above
the 2.0 Specialized The Captain http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=35727
the 2.0 Specialized Resolution http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=35741
or the 2.0 Maxxis Larsen TT http://www.maxxis.com/products/bicycle/product_detail.asp?id=71 which is also the lightest at only 1/2kg

Anyone running 2 different tires front and back? I've seen some that are more square for the back and more directional for the front. Unfortunatelly the tires I like don't come in a wider setup, other than the Weirwolf.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I've ran the 2.1 Weirwolf before. Worked good as a back tire, didn't care for it on the front though, wanted to wash out alot. Maxxis makes the Ignitor in 1.95, 2.1, and 2.35, might take a look at them.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I've been running Conti Explorers (2.1's) on my Anthem. They seem to work pretty well at Alafia. No major complaints. They seem to be a solid jack-of-all-trades tire.

On the 29er I'm running the WTB ExiWolf (2.3's). My only complaint is the fact they don't shed mud or wet sand or wet clay worth a damn which can be a bit of an issue at Alafia after rain, but traction is still pretty good even when they are completely packed up. Otherwise they do quite well.

·
Weekend Warrior
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm looking for a good all round tire for Central Florida Riding. This is where I spend most of my time: Santos, Flagler (Snowhill), and Alafaya. My riding style is not aggressive, but I like to hit a mixture of fast yellows and blues as well as slow technical reds.

This is really my first summer, since when I got my bike last year I hadn't gotten straight into trails yet. So this is a new experience for me.

I haven't considered factors like shedding, etc., but now that it's mentioned it adds just one more factor in regards to finding that perfect tire. BTW, I like the Continental Explorer, looks like a nice thread.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Camf said:
I've been running the Panaracer Fire XC Pro and haven't been happier. It's worked great all across the state.
Those seem to be the tire of choice for quite a few local guys. Once I'm done with the Explorers I may have to give those a shot.

How well do the Panaracers handle in the sugar sand...particularly in sandy turns?

·
Weekend Warrior
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just read a great article in the new MountainBike Action, the specialized Chunder (XC Version) and The Captain got a 4 out of 5 rating.

I love the way the panaracer looks, for its color choices, but was afraid that that's all it was.

Man you guys don't make this any easier, now I'm more confused than ever ;)

I guess all these tires are great the question is, which one for the best price....

Thanks...

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.