Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Spooooon!
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I know, strange topic. I just got back from riding the pasture and the cows are busy doing their thing. What tire would you use for the following conditions all in the same trail system; Dry, packed, rooted, grassy, loose powdery dirt over hard pack, sandy, big ol' piles of cow crap (yes it's a pasture). You can try to avoid it, but it just doesn't always work. The tire needs to shed the bovine mud quickly while still being a good all around tire. We ride a large trail system that shares the land with a cattle herd. The cows are now in the pasture and leaving their mark. Last season I was on a 26er most of the time and my 26" Weirwolfs worked fine, but the 29er version has a much shallower tread.

Here is what I've tried with results indicated:

WTB Weirwolf - Fast rolling, sheds OK, washes out in the loose stuff, doesn't like roots
WTB Nano - Fast rolling, but just to narrow and low tread
Michelin AT - Awesome mud tire, too narrow, not enough volume
Kenda Nevegal - Packs up some with mud, heavy and slow rolling.
Maxxis Ignitor - Great overall tire in this environment, but really holds the "mud"
Maxxis Crossmark - waaay to skittish in the soft, powdery dirt.

What should I try next? Rampage? Mountain King?

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
I actually think the Mountain King might be a good choice. It sheds mud well and is good for loose terrain. I have not ridden one, however. I've ridden the Rampage a bit. It clumps up in the mud and doesn't shed it very well. It also sucks in sand, at least compared to the Dry X (XDX) I'm using now. XDX is a good all conditions tire. It doesn't seem to fill up too much, but I haven't ridden it through extensive mud.

·
Spooooon!
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mikesee said:
Looks like you've got a sh1tty decision ahead of you.

Bada bing!
Nice! You learn "object" avoidance pretty quickly. The trails are awesome, but there are just some hazards to deal with. In return, the cows give us some great chutes and nice drops. I'm thinking I may need fenders this year . . .

Attachments

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Hairllama said:
Yes, I know, strange topic. I just got back from riding the pasture and the cows are busy doing their thing. What tire would you use for the following conditions all in the same trail system; Dry, packed, rooted, grassy, loose powdery dirt over hard pack, sandy, big ol' piles of cow crap (yes it's a pasture). You can try to avoid it, but it just doesn't always work. The tire needs to shed the bovine mud quickly while still being a good all around tire. We ride a large trail system that shares the land with a cattle herd. The cows are now in the pasture and leaving their mark. Last season I was on a 26er most of the time and my 26" Weirwolfs worked fine, but the 29er version has a much shallower tread.

Here is what I've tried with results indicated:

WTB Weirwolf - Fast rolling, sheds OK, washes out in the loose stuff, doesn't like roots
WTB Nano - Fast rolling, but just to narrow and low tread
Michelin AT - Awesome mud tire, too narrow, not enough volume
Kenda Nevegal - Packs up some with mud, heavy and slow rolling.
Maxxis Ignitor - Great overall tire in this environment, but really holds the "mud"
Maxxis Crossmark - waaay to skittish in the soft, powdery dirt.

What should I try next? Rampage? Mountain King?
I would use the Rampage...and fenders.

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
Hairllama said:
Yes, I know, strange topic. I just got back from riding the pasture and the cows are busy doing their thing. What tire would you use for the following conditions all in the same trail system; Dry, packed, rooted, grassy, loose powdery dirt over hard pack, sandy, big ol' piles of cow crap (yes it's a pasture).
Kenda Klaw.

See those holes in the mud, Cows, rain, chit. Klaws clawed their way through the goop.

Detox for bike and rider. Peeee-you! :rolleyes:

·
No pain no gain
85 Posts
I would put a 2.35 Rampage (700 gm.) on the front and a 2.3 Continental Gravity (675 gm.) on the rear (actual size is smaller, more like a 2.2). SUPER good traction with both when placed in positions mentioned.

I am currently experimenting with Conty MK 2.4 protection version front/back on hardpack but first impression is that the MK on front does not hold quite as tight of a corner as the Rampage, and the Rampage floats over more knarly stuff just a touch better than Mountain King. They both roll fast and are light for respective size/volume. 2.4 MK protection version is 30 gm lighter than Rampage. I did enjoy super traction on rear while climbing rock outcroppings with 2.4 MK, but will swap back to my Gravity to see which one I like better. My testing is done only in dry terrain... word has it that the MK's due quite well in the wet.

The MK knobs are visibly bigger on MK 2.4 than MK 2.2, I tried 2.2's for one day and decided they were not for me - noticeably better cornering traction on front with MK 2.4 (I must say though - 2.2 rolled fast). I would ONLY buy protection version.

I believe your best tire for front will NOT be the best tire for back, and visa versa, so do your research. I have spent this last winter researching tires, and I now have a small tire collection in my garage (weirwolf, nevegal, vertical pro etc.).

The best tires for my riding style and terrain (dry, hardpack, rocks) are narrowed down to Mountain King (front or back), Rampage (front only), and Gravity (rear only). The testing continues!

·
Registered
457 Posts
you can always put a 'tire dressing' on the tires as well ... (not armor-all) ... i tried that once with some cheap-o tires before i changed them out ... and didnt notice any difference with traction .. but mud and such did not stick to them at all .. so no problem with shedding.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Conti Mountain King for sure. Better tire than the Rampage for slop and poop. I ride muddy/poopy trails in the spring and winter with em.

I'd second the fender idea as well as a face mask or full face helmet :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts