Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2006 fisher rig,I would like to run it as a 1x9 ,there no del. bosses or rear delrailer hanger on the 2006 rigs.heres my thought,can I change out my axel (or,do I need to ) to a hone axel and then mount a hone R.D. on the axel.I can run the cable at full lenght and zip tie it to the rear brake cable.
It sound like alot of work,but I picked up the rig frame for $80.00 and I won a new hone R.D. and it collecting dust.Its very hilly were I ride and a single speed cam be done,but I'm not digging it.
thx for any advice:thumbsup:

·
Don't be a sheep
3,414 Posts
29ERCAT said:
I own a 2006 fisher rig,I would like to run it as a 1x9 ,there no del. bosses or rear delrailer hanger on the 2006 rigs.heres my thought,can I change out my axel (or,do I need to ) to a hone axel and then mount a hone R.D. on the axel.I can run the cable at full lenght and zip tie it to the rear brake cable.
It sound like alot of work,but I picked up the rig frame for $80.00 and I won a new hone R.D. and it collecting dust.Its very hilly were I ride and a single speed cam be done,but I'm not digging it.
thx for any advice:thumbsup:
Definitely doable. I've actually looked into doing it and the parts are available. The only real problem is retro fitting the Hone axle. You'll definitely need to use a Shimano hub and if you're not using a Hone hub getting the axle spacing right with the cones can be problematic. I fit a Dura-Ace Ti cassette body to an XT rear hub and went through a lot of trial and error with the huge bag of Shimano cones I have to get the spacing right. Shimano hubs are all over the placee as far as the cones they use and the internal bearing spacing. That being said, you might be better served just buying a Hone hub and having a wheel built with it.

·
Banned
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi..heres the deal,I just purchased a used xt sh m756 rear wheel with a solid axel and I was going to replace it with a Q.R . I would love to use this wheel to keep the cost down.The other good new is my LBS owes me a favor so I can get the parts from QBP,I just need to know what to order.Also,can I use a standard xt 9SP cass or does it have to hone or saint
many thx

·
Banned
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi..heres the deal,I just purchased a used 2006 xt sh m756 rear wheel with a solid axel and I was going to replace it with a Q.R . I would love to use this wheel to keep the cost down.The other good new is my LBS owes me a favor so I can get the parts from QBP,I just need to know what to order.Also,can I use a standard xt 9SP cass or does it have to hone or saint
many thx

·
Registered
67 Posts
Im thinking of doing something similar to my Monocog, but using a Wheels Mfg. emergency derailleur hanger. It hangs on the QR or bolt on axle, and is threaded for a standard rear mech. Ive got to build a cassette wheel first.

·
Banned
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well,were getting there...then I would ring up more cost for a 7 speed cass and shifters,geokpran have you tired this set up out yet ?? I would really love to go with 9sp if we can figure this out....
thx

·
Registered
594 Posts
setup

That wheel you have will work perfect. I'm running something similar on a Monocog 29. I'm running a crappy m495 deore centerlock hub and it's been great so far. I'm using a Saint SS rear that I scored cheap off of ebay. Then I went to my shop and ordered the Hone Derailleur axle nut ( the driveside one that actually attaches the derailleur). Now all you need is a shifter and a really long piece of housing. Are you missing the derailleur bolt or something? The derailleur should have come with that. The axle in your hub should be a 10x1mm solid axle as the stock qr axles in a lot of high end Shimano hubs are already 10x1mm just the QR variety. Sounds like you have a good start and just need to get it done! I wish I could upload the pic from a Rig I converted for a friend. He's still riding that bike with that setup til this day.

Attachments

·
Banned
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here is a pic of my rear wheel,solid axel,looks to be 190mm in lenght.I have about 25mm of axel showing on the drive side.
Will this set up do the trick for use with a hone R.D.Also, does anyone know the lenght of a stock hone rear axel and if its the same as a stock shimano xt axel outside of the lenght and it being a solid axel.
thx again for any feedback on this project:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
594 Posts
The stock length is either 186-187mm. Most replacements are right around there. You may have to offset that slightly to the srive side to get a little better thread engagement , but I would just see how it mounts up on the frame and how many full turns you get til it's tight. That looks pretty good/close though. I drilled out a Hone none-drive side nut (they were made for a slotted axle) which cleans the look up a bit. I also took my first dive into gripshift and am running an old Centera 8spd shifter with an awesome XT 8spd cassette. The larger cogs are on an aluminum carrier. The shift quality is awesome. It has been snowing around here alot (middle eastern Iowa) and the switch to gears on both of my 29ers has been nice. I got the Monocog to keep a snow/ice commuter while the Scout is off at the powder coaters. Pics of that setup to come....

·
Banned
1,442 Posts
Doesn't the axle thread into the Hone RD? I know it does on the Saint. What I am getting at is, I don't see how you can just throw a longer 10mm rear axle into a standard old school (non through axle hone / saint) rear hub and make it work (without modifications).

FWIW, I'm running a 12mm through axle 135mm rear hub using the Problem Solvers 12mm to 10mm step down axle threaded into a Saint RD. The rear axle slides through the hub and threads into the Saint derailleur. The axle is not threaded to the hub; it spins freely inside the hub.

edit: Reading above post.... what is a hone axle nut? Maybe it does work. I dunno.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Hone deralleurs mount onto a 10x1mm axle. Saints share the same thread pitch and diameter but not the mounting style. Note the different derailleur bolt than yours on my Saint RD. Mine is a Hone that has a 6mm slot on the end and no o-ring holding a threaded collar in. Saint hubs run oversize aluminum axles like XTR, Dura-Ace. Then attatch to the bike from the non-driveside through the hub with and aluminum axle (like you using a problem solvers axle) and tightening into the derailleur. You can simply buy the Hone derailleur bolt, pry your old Saint one out (save it as you might want to run it on a thru axle rear hub) and place the new Hone one in. Then just use a crappy old Shimano rear hub with a 187mm solid 10x1mm axle

You don't have to buy a Hone derailleur as any dealer should be able to order that Hone derailleur bolt. A great option as you can get Saint RD's super cheap. Especially the ones for Horizontal drops. You can also get the different backing plate for either horizontal or vertical drops if you don't want to purchase a seperate derailleur. Hub options are pretty endless as a lot of companies now make 10mm thru-axle rear hubs. Hadley, DT Swiss (they actually sell replacement endcaps so you can run 10mm thru, bolt-on, or qr) among many others. No derailleur hangers are never a problem.

29ercat now you don't even have to buy one of the ugly $11 Tourney derailleurs although that is a viable option. You already have what you need.

·
Banned
1,442 Posts
ia_ss157 said:
Hone deralleurs mount onto a 10x1mm axle. Saints share the same thread pitch and diameter but not the mounting style. Note the different derailleur bolt than yours on my Saint RD. Mine is a Hone that has a 6mm slot on the end and no o-ring holding a threaded collar in. Saint hubs run oversize aluminum axles like XTR, Dura-Ace. Then attatch to the bike from the non-driveside through the hub with and aluminum axle (like you using a problem solvers axle) and tightening into the derailleur. You can simply buy the Hone derailleur bolt, pry your old Saint one out (save it as you might want to run it on a thru axle rear hub) and place the new Hone one in. Then just use a crappy old Shimano rear hub with a 187mm solid 10x1mm axle

You don't have to buy a Hone derailleur as any dealer should be able to order that Hone derailleur bolt. A great option as you can get Saint RD's super cheap. Especially the ones for Horizontal drops. You can also get the different backing plate for either horizontal or vertical drops if you don't want to purchase a seperate derailleur. Hub options are pretty endless as a lot of companies now make 10mm thru-axle rear hubs. Hadley, DT Swiss (they actually sell replacement endcaps so you can run 10mm thru, bolt-on, or qr) among many others. No derailleur hangers are never a problem.

29ercat now you don't even have to buy one of the ugly $11 Tourney derailleurs although that is a viable option. You already have what you need.
Sweet! Good to know.

·
Banned
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ss157...thx again,I dont think many people know of this mod.
The hone RD that I picked up is for vertical drops,will this work on the rig.Also what is the purpose of the hone left hand nut,and do I need to purchase one.
this project has me pumped !!!!

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
29ERCAT said:
well,were getting there...then I would ring up more cost for a 7 speed cass and shifters,geokpran have you tired this set up out yet ?? I would really love to go with 9sp if we can figure this out....
thx
That cheapie derailleur will mostly likely work on 8/9 speed.
It costs $11 to find out.
I have not used this derailleur myself but I've worked on many bikes that use this der. and it works very well.

·
Cars Are Evil
1,123 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
No you don't need that axle nut. It just kind of looks like the right hand nut and you would actually have to drill it out to get it to work. It is for a slotted axle. Just use the nut you have already for the non-drive side. Good luck and let's see some pics when you get it done! Oh and what rim is that hub laced up to? It looked like something disc specific. I'm experimenting with Revolutions in a 29er wheel due to the lower weight. So far sort of good. They definitely need more tension which will probably cause the rim to crack out prematurely. Oh well. Good luck & pics!

·
Banned
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ss157..should have the rig project finsihed tonight,I'll post a pic...did you ever get the pics of the fisher mod.The rims are wtb trail 29ers,they are stong,no issuse so far.I have also had good luck with all the bontragers,mavic and dt

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.