Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Too Much Fun
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. So I got an Edge 305. Yay me!

Now I'm looking for good examples of different training routines and creative/fun ideas for riding with this thing. Both road and mountain riding.

I'm looking on the Motionbased boards as well as on MTBR, but I just thought I'd toss it out there to see how people are training with their 305 units.

My training goals are simple: faster and stronger. Duh. I'm not slouch now, but I find that I'm stronger on longer rides, and just take a while to get up to speed.

Any thoughts, tips etc would be great. Mostly interested in what has worked for people using their Edge 305.

Thanks!

·
Registered
451 Posts
It's a bit odd. Lots of data from the 305/205 but no one seems to know what to do with it to help in training.

It really sucks there is no program out there that does direct comparison of data well. Yeah, you can do a Dot Race on MotionBased or do a simplistic chart comparison in Training Center but that's about it.

I'm praying SportTracks comes through on their next release with good and USEFUL number crunching comparison data to better view performance gains and efficiencies between one or more of the same activity.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I just last night began the work to build a bunch of "workouts" using the Training Center software. I used my favorite training book and built the workouts based on it. So far they are pretty basic, like intervals, etc. I then added them to the calendar and created my training program for the next few months. I ordered the cadence/speed module separately and when it arrives this week, I plan to begin using it on my mag trainer in the garage.
I've completed a few rides with it and so far, I really like the data that I'm getting. It takes using an HRM to a whole new level.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Try out the courses fuction. When I'm riding alone I find it real easy to back it off and not push hard. The courses funciton lets me race against myself, but since it hurts pretty bad I end up not using it enough...

BM

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm going to pick up a 305 in the next week or so, the threads seem so say this is the one to get, if you want statistical analysis of data look at Minitab software, I'm a quality engineer by trade and so can generate any type of brain boiling data/graph/plot using this program, if you can export it into Excel you can import it, it's way too expensive to buy a personal license but there may be a demo version somewhere, as an example you could plot a simple multiple Y-axis with subgroups plot that shows your mean/min/max HR or distance or cadence or speed etc. when riding multiple routes with different people, it's waaaaay overkill!! better to spend the time riding than crunching numbers, let me know what you want to get out of the data

·
GeoMan
1,706 Posts
I found the mere fact that I was riding more because of the Edge was a pretty good incentive for having one.

Once you start compiling data it becomes self-motivating. I've got somewhere over 250 rides on my 305 and have kept track of most every ride (there were a few where I forgot to recharge). If I forget the Edge on my workbench, I'll turn around and go get it. Oddly, I feel "naked" without it.

It's very interesting to see how I managed the same ride last year or last month - heart rate, stops, average speed, etc. I got a new bike this fall and have been interested in seeing if it improves my riding. The Edge helps me find out.

I have buds who could care less and, frankly, don't want to muck up their riding experience with data. I say, live and let live and to each his own.

A riding computer isn't for everybody any more than a single speed is a universal drive-train. If it works, use it. I happen to love the Edge. You might too!

·
Too Much Fun
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Same here...

GEOMAN said:
I found the mere fact that I was riding more because of the Edge was a pretty good incentive for having one. Oddly, I feel "naked" without it.
I've only had mine for a week and I find it has totally added to my urge to ride everywhere. I want to record EVERY RIDE. :thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.