Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is the DH forum but some of us have to/prefer to earn our descents. Our local DH trails have a 20+ minute climb. Here on the East coast climbing with a FF helmet = fishbowl of moisture. Knee pads are not much better. Goggles? Where would I put them?

Any tips are appreciated.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I’m no expert, but my knee/shin pads have zippers. I leave the zipper open and they sag down so theres air flow. It’s ok enough to go uphill for 20 minutes. Elbow pads i wedge into a bottle cage, works fine.

Helmet on my head...

·
Registered
15,857 Posts
Slide knee pads down around your ankles on the climb. Not sure what to tell you about the helmet.

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
I slide the helmet to the top of my head so its not covering my face, or I hang it on the handle bar.
I slide the knee pads down to the shin/ankles.

I leave the elbow pads on.

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
20 minutes? I wear everything in place. Climbs that take 2 to 4 hours are different.
4 hours!?

Might need a helicopter for those climbs 🤔

Sent from MTBR.apk

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all. I slid the knee pads down and reversed them for max ventilation. I left the elbow pads on but that might change with higher temps. I wore the lid but popped it up a bit. That was the worst part. Goggle under my chin. It was a strangely cool morning and the hotter rides may be tough. Thanks again.

Almost forgot, my Club Ride shirts are button up and are pretty danged breezy.

·
Registered
15,857 Posts
You can also strap the goggle onto your helmet instead of wearing it under your chin. You can put a double loop in the strap and put it on your arm too.

·
Glad to Be Alive
42,972 Posts
I know this is the DH forum but some of us have to/prefer to earn our descents. Our local DH trails have a 20+ minute climb. Here on the East coast climbing with a FF helmet = fishbowl of moisture. Knee pads are not much better. Goggles? Where would I put them?

Any tips are appreciated.
cheap rat basstard....I earn my descents....I frickin have a job that pays me well enough to buy a truck, bike rack and gas.....

·
Glad to Be Alive
42,972 Posts
Basically....I keep my knee pads on my shins - Helmet and goggles are on my strap of water pack...armour is somehow tide to bars

1 - 13 of 13 Posts