Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
I'm Riding It
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on entering a 12 hour race on a team with 2-4 other people.
I was just looking for some tips, like nutrition, bike upgrades, ext.
If you could help out that would be great.....

·
Registered
175 Posts
I did my first endurance race last year, so I still need to learn lots of stuff but here are a few things I can share. Drink enough water before, during, and after the race. If you decide to pre-run the race course, don't push yourself and ride very slowly. It's not easy to fix a flat tire at 2:00 am especialy if you only have a bar light. Bring a small flash light in your camelbak. Or better yet,use Stans and/or tubeless tires and forget about flat tires(but still bring an extra tube just in case). My team mates brought extra wheels, lights...etc almost everything except a frame. We couldn't have a campfire last year so it was very too cold to sleep. Regarding food, I was forced to eat steaks and lots of fruit between laps. :eek: It's good to have team supporters. We had three supporters who checked our bikes, cooked for us, and woke us up for the turn, and they did somewhat 8 hrs each. We finished 5th out of 40 teams just because of the supporters. Have fun.

oilerfan30 said:

·
Registered
649 Posts
oilerfan30 said:
The best tip is to just be prepared! Have a good support crew or team that you know will look out for each other, rather than just drink beer the whole time!! :) Take a hydro pack, or underseat bag, that has spare tubes, a multitool, extra flashlight, and other such useful things. Use sunglasses that have interchangeable lenses so you can switch to a clear lens when it gets dark. Eat carbs and drink fluids regularly. A bit of protein will help too, but not just before you head out. Have someone on the support team who is willing and able to cook for you so that food is always on hand.
Take effective lights that you know will do the job and last for at least an hour without charging. Make sure that at least two of your teammates have lights! A comfy seat and chamois will make your race much more enjoyable. And don't go out too hard at the start of each lap, save your energy by pedalling smoothly and consistently and have a plan for each lap. Don't get suckered into a race by another rider, particularly on the first few climbs. Remember to take spare tubes!!! Even if you run tubeless.
As for bike upgrades, i don't know that it would be worth it just for the one race. As long as you are comfortable riding your bike for a few hours already then it should be ok to leave as is. Unless you had plans for upgrades anyway! (A comfy seat and grips are a good start) Make sure someone on your team, or support team, is handy with the spanners and bike maintenance. A bike stand will come in handy for performing work during breaks in riding. Take comfy chairs!! And comfy mattresses, you may want to lie down for a bit, but then again this is more appropriate for a 24 hr race.
All in all you want to make it as smooth and enjoyable as you can, so just think ahead and make sure that between all of you there is enough of everything to take care of everyone. And always remember that someone will always forget something, like spare tubes!!! :) But don't go OTT and take a truckload of stuff. However, once you have done a race you will see for yourself what was necessary and what was superfluous.
Have fun and good luck!
Cheers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.