Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I've been battling tire creep for several months and shearing the tubs at the valve stems (almost every ride) and have come to the conclusion that the problem is tire creep due to the tire not seating correctly.

This is what I have been doing so far, so that you won't flame me later...:p
1. put talc on the tubes prior to installation
2. put new rim tape, making sure it's not near the rim
3. clean the rim with alcohol and soap/water on the tire beads
4. lightly sand the valve hole on the rim (double wall rim)
5. add washer/spacer using old tire (was used only one ride :madman:)
6. run with tire pressure of 30+ when normally I like around 23-25 HT

The only thing I wasn't able to do was use a floor pump (was in a box somewhere when we moved), but I don't think the rim touched the base because of the spacer, but what do I know...

Anyways, I've come to the conclusion that it's the tire creep (front & back) from poor tire seating.

Sorry for the long winded question:
1. What do you do to make sure that the tire is seated
2. How do you know if the tire is NOT seated so that you can fix it (other than seeing the tire creep).

Thank you all for your awesomeness.....:thumbsup:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so your tire and tube move to the point that it tears the valve away from the tube where it is attached?
Yes. One time I was flying down a PA Ed road a out 20 mph when the front tire blew! Talk a out needing a change of shorts!!! :eek:

Are you seeing tire creep by using witness marks on the tire and wheel?
Not exactly, I was lining up the graphics with the valve stem and just knew that it moved. As in how much, I would guess about an inch or slightly more. Should have made a mark.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Moving over an inch and tearing off the valve stem is more than creep. Is this happening after getting a new tire or wheel? What's your rim width and tire width? Clean off any residual soap from the tire/rim and mount the tire dry in case the soap's acting as a lube and try again.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Moving over an inch and tearing off the valve stem is more than creep. Is this happening after getting a new tire or wheel? What's your rim width and tire width? Clean off any residual soap from the tire/rim and mount the tire dry in case the soap's acting as a lube and try again.
This is after getting a new tire, well sort of, it's been about about 6 months without incident. The other thing is that it could be that I'm riding trails/roads that are steeper than normal, so breaking is harder. I will try letting the tire dry more, or put a hair dryer on the tire to dry it more.

time to try a tubeless conversion kit?
Been seriously thinking about this, but my rims are old school and not worth the effort, well at least to my limited knowledge.

Can any rim be converted to tubeless?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.