Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some time aliums on my bike and recently got a good deal on some last year atac xs pedals. I want to put them on and no matter how hard to pull or push I can't get the aliums off. if there some trick?

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
A real pedal wrench and a good place to apply torque.

One time at home I actually took my crankarm off and put it into a soft jaw vise to get enough torque.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Remember that the left pedal is reverse threaded. When you install your new pedals use antiseize on the threads to make it easier next time.

Edit: Oh another idea is to use PB blaster or something similar.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
It's thread lubricant used to prevent seizing and galling of threaded connections. You can use grease also, but antiseize is made specifically for this purpose. You can get a little tube of antiseize at any auto parts store for a couple of bucks.

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
A few things

1) None of the pedal wrenches I have had or seen were very nice tools. They flex when pressed hard and distort. I use a nice Snap-on 15 mm wrench which I inherited from my Dad.
2) Often the problem of getting the dang thing off is compounded by applying pressure in the wrong direction the first time. Remember: BACK OFF.
3) If she is stuck try some penetrating oil and let it sit overnight. Try it fresh the next day. I bet it will come off.

This problem can be avoided with proper installation.
1) Make sure all your threads are clean.
2) Apply grease or Anti-seize.
3) Make certain to not cross threaded when you install. Place the pedal thread onto the crank and rotate the thread backwards until you hear a click, then turn it forwards. That is the beginning of the pedal thread passing over the beginning of the crank thread. Then you can rotate it forward with light hand pressure.
4) If it still doesn't feel right start fresh. Sometimes it helps to do this with your eyes closed for concentration. Never hurry or apply more than hand force until you are certain it is right. Mechanics is about systems and touch.

·
Registered
301 Posts
A good way to apply torque is:

1. face the bike from the side with the pedal you wish to remove
2. turn the crank to 10 o'clock
3. place the spanner at about 2 o'clock, or so there is less than 90 degrees between crank and spanner
4. apply downwards pressure on the spanner

By holding the bike still on the ground, you can apply quite a bit of force this way, even using your foot. If spanner slips it should just fall to the ground. This works for either side. For pedals without wrench flats, only allen key holes, this doesn't work.

When installing pedals, thread both on a couple of turns, then holding both pedal axles, turn the cranks backwards and they'll both wind on. Then tighten with the spanner.

Got these tips from some magazine article yonks ago called something like" Zen and the art of bicycle maintenance".

·
Registered
249 Posts
Make a V with the crank arm and wrench then close the V. The left pedal will be reversed threads. I find that a good quality open end wrench is better than a pedal wrench. Some pedals have an allen key hole that can be used with an allen key and box end wrench to get a little more leverage.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Last pair that came in really stuck I had to take the arms of and put in a vise and use a good pedal wrench (I use park wrenches). It still took a little effort but got it loose. Just be patient and use PB blaster or liquid wrench, something similar. Don't get to crazy really fast you could pull threads out of the cranks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just had to remove some Smarty pedals from my new Iron Horse. I had less that 8 rides on the bike and the pedals were shot. Going back to Crank Bros.

Anyway, the LBS installed them when I had the bike assembled (internet deal). I don't know if they had Andre the Giant install them or what, but it took SERIOUS effort to get them off. One side eventually came off with a cheater bar on the ratchet (these pedals use allen heads etc.) after a big "pop". The other side, no love. I tried everything and eventually resorted to my impact gun (air). STILL no go. My impact is rated for serious duty, good enough to remove 36mm axle nut from my car @ 350# of torque.

I was bummed but then busted out my torch. Just a cheap bottle of gas and tip from any hardware store. Heated it up really good, cooled it back down, inserted the allen socket and tapped it with a hammer to jar anything loose and then it just spun right out.

I tried PB Blaster twice but it just wouldn't cut it, and I have been very impressed with PB on other car related projects.

Good luck, and as stated above, be sure to use something on the threads when installing the new pedals.

-Chris

1 - 12 of 12 Posts