Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started mountain biking a few weeks ago. I've had many tips to go to clipless pedals but before I change I want to make sure I'm getting all out of my regular pedals first. My riding style seems to be all mountain small hills both up and down over small drops but nothing big. My main problem seems to be if I'm going over a lot of little bumps and my body goes up and the bike stays on the ground and I hope to land on the bike. Or if i go over a jump I sometimes lose the pedals in the air. What can i do to be on the pedals more?

Thanks
Rockdude

·
Registered
346 Posts
Point your toes down and push back on the pedals, sort of like a leg curl motion. Also, when going over jumps you need to be loose and "proactive", don't just be along for the ride but make sure your center of gravity is moving in the same path as the bike. Practice bunnyhops to get this motion down. Read the bunnyhop tutorial thread stickied on this forum.

For extra bumpy terrain you want to be super relaxed and loose. Imagine your entire body as a shock absorber, let the bike bounce around and do it's thing but keep your weight roughly centered over the pedals (stand up, obviously) while absorbing everything with your arms/legs. Don't let the bike buck you around.

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
What brand pedals do you have & what brand bike :confused: When going over rough terrain with flats you need to stay relaxed & knees bent so the bike moves with you.
Also shoes make a differance the stickyer the sole the better you stick, like the 661 sticky rubber Dually. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts