Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I built a full rigid bike over the winter and look forward to taking it out. This will be my second year riding. Any tips on riding a full rigid bike compared to one with suspension?

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
Knees and arms bent , good grips , learn to pick the good lines .

·
Registered
190 Posts
Don't try to ride fast, it'll rattle you. Just try to ride smooth and speed will come. When you get back to your suspension bike you'll fly.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies. I figured I would have to use more of my body for suspension, and I'm glad you all agree. I also thought a big tire in front would be a good idea; I have a 2.5 in the front and a 2.2 in the rear.

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
If you're used to riding a full suspension, you need to watch where you're putting your wheels when you're riding rigid. The lines you're used to riding may not be the same anymore, and in some cases may net you a new rim or two if you try to ride them ;)

·
Tool
272 Posts
You're fork won't help you roll out of things any more. You'll need to learn to pick up your front end on downhills (and up), which can get awkward sometimes.

Stay relaxed, let the front wheel wander a bit.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Tubeless tires @ 25 lbs psi

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you'll buy me a FS bike and tubeless tires I'll use them. I'm mainly looking for tips that won't cost me money here.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I just came off riding rigid for about 2 years, and I still think rigid rocks. Defintely increases your riding skill and makes for a light bike.

Pick your lines carefully. Always scan the terrain for things that might throw you off the bike.

Let the suspension guys go in front of you since you'll be going slower and not in a direct line.

Get a big front tire (I used a Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.4) and run between 20-25 psi.

·
dedicated beater
168 Posts
Get a strong feel for fore-aft balancing. I used to ride a lot of stuff on my full rigid and I remember constantly moving my weight fore and aft depending on terrain and speed. Mostly though, it was to get my butt over the rear tire, with knees strongly bent to absorb bumps and terrain.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts