Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the 07 fsr comp. I already put really light tires on it, and just put on X.0 shifters with a monkey light sl handlebars. I know its mostly the engine that makes the outcome of a race. But i'm just looking for some tips or changes for the bike considering its no epic. Thanks!

·
Registered
746 Posts
chrisf695 said:
I have the 07 fsr comp. I already put really light tires on it, and just put on X.0 shifters with a monkey light sl handlebars. I know its mostly the engine that makes the outcome of a race. But i'm just looking for some tips or changes for the bike considering its no epic. Thanks!
I have owned a SJ expert withe brain.... I can tell you the SL Enduro is a faster bike... maybe faster than an Epic?

·
Registered
17 Posts
front suspension with travel adjust. set it at 100 or 80 makes the angles steeper w/c is good for climbing but bike becomes twitchy. a lighter wheelset for better acceleration.
faster than an epic? i doubt it. maybe on a technical downhill track.
goodluck and ride safe.
peace.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I race on an 07 SJ FSR Expert. It's not a bad xc race bike, but it won't perform as well as an epic. I've put a set of Mavic Crossmax SLs and moved to the newer Captain tire. I also upgreaded to a phenom saddle, which I find fits me better.

I also had the TALAS shock push'd and upgraded to an RLC when it needed it's last annual service. When racing I dial the TALAS fork down to 120, and then 100 for steep climbs.

It's a great descender, too bad in XC races you spend more time going up then down.

I run the suspension a little firmer on race day for less then 20 mile XC events. For endurance events, I run it softer, as comfort is very importanct when you may be spending 5+ hours on the bike.

When racing, run whatcha brung, have fun. If you start getting serious, plan on getting another bike :)

·
hardcore on the bunnyhill
159 Posts
Are we talking XC racing, endurance, or Super - D?

·
Lusus Naturae
2,874 Posts
Used to be my all-around bike, but it is not as peppy as the epic of course. The Triad is pretty damn good - set it on pro-pedal for most riding and only open it for the rought stuff. Also dont forget that locking the front when going uphill can really help, specially when standing.

Could use an adjustable fork, though ... would help climbing a heck of a lot.

·
Lurking sounds so dirty
32 Posts
Ooops...

chrisf695 said:
talking XC racing.
Sorry, but I think you got the wrong bike for XC racing. Not to say it can't be done, but you will be at a competitive disadvantage. The SJ FSR is designed to be an all day, general purpose, trail bike. Meaning that it does everything fairly well, but nothing excellent.

If trading it in on an Epic or even a SJ HT is not an option, I would suggest reconfiguring your SJ FSR. Lighter wheels/tires, maybe a longer stem/lower bars to make it climb better. Firm up or lock out the suspension since you won't need all of the travel.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.