Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
Getting too old for this...
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a new set of 2.25 skinwall thunder burts.

Putting them on Stan's Arch rims - 2.25-2.5" recommended. They are a bit wider than I want, but that's all I have.

I'm trying to make a "gravel" bike with these tires. They measure out at 2.0" when mounted to the rims.

Anyway, back tire mounted fine, both sides popped into place first try.

Front however, not. The right bead slid up out of the middle channel up against the rim bead wall. The other side will not pop out of the middle channel. So the tire is lopsided. It seals up, just not correctly. The words thunder burt for example touch the rim edge on the bad side, and there's 1/8" of sidewall between on the good side.

What I tried:

1. soaped everything up good
2. used a compressor to pop the tire on. Never got the pop sound on this tire though
3. put in a sturdy 29" tube and cranked that up
4. Layed wheel on ground and took my shoe and tried to force the tire back up out of the groove
5. Road it around hitting curbs head on
6. Let pressure way out and physically tried to pry the tire
7. Un mounted and remounted again

That's it. I'm out of tricks.

Anyone know any super cool tricks to get this thing up and out? The tire is obviously a bit too tight otherwise it would easily slide up and against the rim bead wall edge.

HELP! I'm supposed to take the bike out of town Sunday and can't buy anything else in time.

· Elitest thrill junkie
41,092 Posts
The tire is most likely warped.

· Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
warped? hmm, looks perfectly fine when off the rim. It just won't slide to the outside of the rim. I pumped it way up with a tube in it and maybe in the morning I'll try it again.

· Registered
6,126 Posts
Bit of soapy water...

Inflate with tube inside. Then unseat the good side and remove tube.

Pump up to 40psi and listen for the pop.

Check rim for damage.

Check tape isn't crumpled up on one side.

Sent from my Asus Rog 3

· furker
919 Posts
If you flip the tire and mount it the other direction, does the problem switch sides too? When you say "It seals up", how much PSI are you getting in there? Put the valve core back in and inflate to 110% of max PSI (this is the PSI used for federal bicycle tire safety testing standards, so this is OK). Bounce it like a basketball. Maybe take your brake rotor off before getting too rowdy.

It could be a manufacturing defect in the bead where the diameter was not manufactured correctly. Are these new tires, or used tires that you've mounted before?

Tires can stretch some, so leave it pressured up for a while and see what happens (sort of like the old days when pre-stretching tubular tires overnight on a rim before gluing them).

· Registered
3,557 Posts
They make mounting fluid that doesn't interfere with sealant/stick. Schwalbe sells it. If you don't want to buy it, you can put straight liquid detergent on the bead--apply a thin layer by finger. You can't just apply it in the rim with everything mounted, since the tires are usually tight enough to just scrape it off.

You can also use tire pliers. The gentle way is to wedge the wheel between two knees, and let enough air out that the tire is appreciably soft. Grasp the area with the mounting pliers with the handle opposite the spot to be pulled up, set so the handles are almost touching. Apply gentle pressure to the casing, then use your other hand to manage the inflator. This takes care of most problem tires, but is usually unnecessary except in extreme circumstances.

1,065 Posts
Coincidently, I just set up my tubeless gravel tires yesterday. This was with Rene Herse (Compass) tires, which are challenging to mount.

I followed Jan's suggestion and mounted them with tubes in to begin with, and got them seated correctly eventually. (It is much easier to do this with tubes, and you can go to higher pressure when mounting on hookless rims without having to worry about them being blown off.) I rode with them like that for a few rides while I waited for my Peaty's valve stems to arrive. Yesterday, I just unmounted one side, pulled out the tube, put in the valve stem, remounted the tire (a bit of a struggle), and inflated. I just used a floor pump and didn't even have to mess with the inflation chamber. They seated on the rim with a loud crack or two, complete with a little cloud of dust, but were fine, and held air even without sealant. (I then added it through the valve stem.)

For now on, I will always mount new tires with a tube first. The tube also has the advantage of really pressing on the rim tape to make a good seal.

cf: https://www.renehersecycles.com/tubeless-faq/

· Single Track Mind
1,056 Posts
For stubborn beads, I have found bouncing the tire like a basketball to work. Just make sure to give it a little back spin.

Another thing to by wary of is the tape job. If you doubled up the tape like a lot of people like to do, or used gorilla tape, it may be presenting a physical barrier to the bead at that spot.

· Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Finally got it. I use the Schwarzenegger bead lube, works great normally. But this time I mixed up a spray bottle of dawn and water and literally soaked everything with foamy water. Then with no valve core, blasted the thing with my compressor and first time, all but one area popped fully. I let the air out, re soaked that one spot, pounded it again, and it popped too. I don’t even know the psi, I was so mad I just let it fly.

man. The crazy thing is, the bead isn’t soooo tight that I couldn’t get it on and off without a single tire lever.

is that a Schwalbe thing? My first tires from them, so who knows. I thought fat bike tires were a pain!

· Registered
1,868 Posts
man. The crazy thing is, the bead isn’t soooo tight that I couldn’t get it on and off without a single tire lever.

is that a Schwalbe thing? My first tires from them, so who knows. I thought fat bike tires were a pain!
Some tire and rim combos are just a pain like that. My current setup requires AT LEAST two tire levers. Even when the opposite side bead is completely unseated.

· EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
8,333 Posts
when I used stans rims they were known to be at the very edge of spec almost too large....many tires hard to seat...but also hard to pop off while riding and stuffing it onto something

I use a dab of liquid Tide in water, applied with an old toothbrush...it is more slippy than dish soap

Reactions: jeremy3220
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.