Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is for tubes (I dont like tubeless and wont consider it, BTDT)
I've had this happen many times, 1x this weekend with nevegal and mavic 823 (yup running tubes on it)

700c rims, mtn rims, different tires
Tire is either not centered and hops or blows off the rim and explodes the tube and sometimes even stretches or rips the tire
It's not always where the valve stem is either and for a variety of tube and tire sizes
I do run higher than normal pressure most of the time, but this even happens with normal pressures

Are there any tips for on the trail as well as will full tools to seat tires properly?

I try eyeballing, pushing the bead in on the high spots, adjusting with tire levers
Inflate a little, ride, inflate more, ride

I know that sometimes beads (wire or kevlar) are not perfect

Some people mentioned soapy water, soap, wax, silicone oil or grease (but I think that's mainly for tubeless and/or difficult to mount tire/rim combos and talc in the tube

I also know that rim strips and tire tape can interfere

For the latest one, I think Im going to put the wheel in a truing stand to "true" the tire

Thanks
G

PS I already search this sub forum for tire seat and skimmed about 100 threads, which were mostly for tubeless

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
I've had this happen many times, 1x this weekend with nevegal and mavic 823 (yup running tubes on it)

Tire is either not centered and hops or blows off the rim and explodes the tube and sometimes even stretches or rips the tire
It's not always where the valve stem is either and for a variety of tube and tire sizes
I do run higher than normal pressure most of the time, but this even happens with normal pressures

Are there any tips for on the trail as well as will full tools to seat tires properly?

I try eyeballing, pushing the bead in on the high spots, adjusting with tire levers
Inflate a little, ride, inflate more, ride

I know that sometimes beads (wire or kevlar) are not perfect

Some people mentioned soapy water, soap, wax, silicone oil or grease (but I think that's mainly for tubeless and/or difficult to mount tire/rim combos and talc in the tube

I also know that rim strips and tire tape can interfere

For the latest one, I think Im going to put the wheel in a truing stand to "true" the tire

Thanks
G

PS I already search this sub forum for tire seat and skimmed about 100 threads, which were mostly for tubeless
The inner bead lock ridge on the 823 is the culprit. No tools. No grease (ESPECIALLY no grease). Use a little soapy water on the tire and rim bead. Works with tubes as well as tubeless.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts

Is this happening with one tire, or multiple tires? Anytime a tire blows off a rim, there is a pretty good chance that the bead is damaged. I would not trust the tire again.

You said you run higher pressures. I'm not sure how high, but please never exceed the maximum pressure rating on the sidewall. And double check your guage to another known good guage to make sure your air pressure readings are correct.

·
Banned
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i tried spray silicone lube

sprayed along the bead, ran a tire lever try to spread it and cleaned up then antruing stand to try and center the tire
This was for a michelin city pilot 700cx35 on a stock rim for a giant seek (no markings on rim), maybe 80 psi or so (its a road tire)
It seemed to center better as i eyeballed it-reinflate repeat
But I got an inner flat today, nothing protruding on the rim tape side so I patched the tire at work without the truing stand, no no its a bit less than ideal

I've also had it happen with a 2.5 trail bear and mavic d521 (narrow rim)

I blew a new irc 2.5 kevlar trail bear tire of the 823 with about 45psi

I guess I'm looking for some tips and tricks to center a tire on the rim in general, not any particular combo

I do inspect the tires/beads, as I having it blow off while riding could be bad

THanks
G

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
sprayed along the bead, ran a tire lever try to spread it and cleaned up then antruing stand to try and center the tire
This was for a michelin city pilot 700cx35 on a stock rim for a giant seek (no markings on rim), maybe 80 psi or so (its a road tire)
It seemed to center better as i eyeballed it-reinflate repeat
But I got an inner flat today, nothing protruding on the rim tape side so I patched the tire at work without the truing stand, no no its a bit less than ideal

I've also had it happen with a 2.5 trail bear and mavic d521 (narrow rim)

I blew a new irc 2.5 kevlar trail bear tire of the 823 with about 45psi

I guess I'm looking for some tips and tricks to center a tire on the rim in general, not any particular combo

I do inspect the tires/beads, as I having it blow off while riding could be bad

THanks
G
I have no clue why you would be having the same issues with so many different tires on different rims.

I have mounted literally hundreds of different models of tires on dozens of different rims and rarely have any problems. I just mount the tire (and tube) and inflate.

·
Registered
679 Posts
im getting really pissed of trying to seat my 29er, one spot for about 8 inches is beading/seating lower than the res tof the tire causing a flat spot. what the crap?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have this problem too, just for rims that have the "inner lock ridge" (2008 wtb laserdisc trail and bontrager tubeless something). I am hating on the "inner lock ridge", never had a problem with rims lacking this feature. Will try the soapy water, but for now just living with wobbly tires. Any other clever tricks out there?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.