Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
MTBR Member
3,008 Posts
ImaFred said:
a quick sesshhhhhh
hehehe....

I got a $20 before, that was sweet. Tipped a mech. at a local shop one time when he let me borrow his tool and a wheel builder friend has always appreciated beer - and that ends up paying for itself. I would tip mechs more often, but I do my own stuff.

·
Super Moderator
6,787 Posts
I do. Once they see me with my bike...they almost always beeline my bike to the front of the repair queue. You'd be surprised how much even a much-deserved soda can do to an underpaid, talented tech.

·
turtles make me hot
11,664 Posts
I do most of the work on my bikes myself, but when I do have the guys at the shop do something for me, or they take care of a warranty issue for me or find me some difficult to find part, I hook them up with a case of Sam Adams. They love it.

·
SSOD
826 Posts
I do all my own wrenching for the most and will occasionally stop by and drop off a 12 pack for the guys in the back, or call in a pizza for the shop on Fridays once in a while. I also race/ ride with most of them so it's more about doing something nice for people every now and then.

Still not a bad idea though

·
i also unicycle
2,043 Posts
i'm weirded out if people treat me like a standard tipped position like a waiter or something, but if i go out of my way or do a little something extra, or (more likely) do something on the spot to help someone in a time crunch, a tip of some sort is awesome. i prefer beer, but a few bucks good too.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Always tip my mech. The guy works hard, goes out of his way to help me and teach me and let's say my bike has never had to wait in line to get fixed. Unless parts need to be order my bike gets fixed withing a couple of hours.

·
Registered
12,683 Posts
I am a bike tech and we really appreciate a little extra. We don't get paid a lot. I try to go above and beyond what customers are paying for every time I touch a bike, and it's good to know how much they appreciate it. If I have enough time, I sometimes I put a bike up in the stand if I have time and do a quick adjustment on the bike, have a friendly talk with the owner about the trails he's been riding, talk about upgrades he might be interested, or injuries we have suffered. sometimes I get advice about trails I have not yet ridden. if the adjustment takes less than five minutes, I usually don't charge the customer in hopes that they will continue to come back and support the shop. and if I am lucky, they slip me a $5 bill. I have received alcohol as a tip before at other shops but I know my current management really frowns upon that, so be discrete!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.