Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts
So you feel delaying the work on everyone else's bike in the queue is legit?
In the case described, I wouldn't consider it necessarily delaying completion on other bikes, as ensuring that the techs are happy and motivated when they get to other bikes. Mixed bag, but if the work done is ultimately better and still timely, I wouldn't consider that example a bad thing if it's the exception rather than the rule.

$$$>beer

not everyone drinks beer
some people may not like your beer choice
many shops employ minors
some shops employ recovering alcoholics

$$$ can buy beer and lots of other things.
You're completely right, in that this makes it very shop specific. Nice coffee stuff can have similarly mixed results.

For my LBS, clean bike, brewed treats, and being realistic about turnaround times goes a long way. I'm not even that good a customer realistically.

Regularly bring the high end beer the (of drinking age) mechanics who work their a$$es off deserve. I've gone in there and their swamped and can see the day has taken it's tole on them. Ten minutes before closing the look on their face when i show up with some ice cold wobblies makes it all worth while.

My mech doesn't drink but he has really went out of the way for me a few times. I'll toss him a $20 now and again and tell him to grab lunch or something.

Reading this thread the first time, I didnt really know about tipping the bike shop. I diont do it a lot, but when they really come through...like overnighting a part in just before a weekend trip...

It rubbed off. My daughter had car trouble and her roommates' boyfriend took it to work with him...the kid works for an auto parts store with two service bays. Brake work at significant savings, so she baked a lasagna for the store employees.

4 guys in the store, eating lasagna and asking if her friends' cars need work!

$$$>beer

not everyone drinks beer
some people may not like your beer choice
many shops employ minors
some shops employ recovering alcoholics

$$$ can buy beer and lots of other things.
Yeah, that's a really good point.

I forgot to say - I ask ahead of time if it's a beer, coffee, or something else shop. I knew some vegan straight edge bike mechanics in SF, and I have a few Mormon friends, so I basically ask up front what they like and buy accordingly.

I still prefer bringing in something I spent time to choose and go get. It feels a bit more thoughtful than cash. But I'm not criticizing cash at all - just not my style.

I must be a bad person, I refuse to tip anywhere that does not offer Table Service.

I also rarely use the LBS as I can do most repairs on my own.....

Also, I work in IT, I am salaried and get no overtime working late or weekends and have never once in 20 years been given a tip for my work, nor do I expect it.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.