Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone can help me out with an issue I'm having with my front wheel on my Kona Process 134. I had two problems: (1) resistance when spinning the wheel, and (2) the wheel was wobbly. I couldn't figure it out so I brought it to a shop.

They tried adjusting the wheel hub and had a hard time fixing both issues. They therefore took a look at the bearings and said everything looked good. So they sent me out with a wheel that felt solid but still had some resistance. I rode home from the shop (about 2km) and once arrived, the wheel was wobbly again. I was going out on the trails the next day and rode it as is. It got a bit more wobbly. I decided to stop in at the shop by the trails to see if they could help. They tightened the hub and I had a sturdy wheel that spinned freely. Beautiful! I took off the wheel to put the bike in the car, put it back on when I got home, and while it still didn't wobble, the resistance was back. I have no idea what's going on. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
505 Posts
Without seeing would be difficult to diagnose. May be something with the suspension causing the impression that the wheel is wobbly or resistant. Best way to diagnose is to grab bike by the saddle and push/pull the rear wheel sideways and see if any pivots move.

Could be a bent axle, although I don't believe so, as you tried a different wheel. In any case, check if anything drags when the wheel is spinning.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi again,

Thanks for these replies! My bike has a Shimano Deore hub: https://2015.konaworld.com/process_134.cfm

When I say it's wobbly, it's because it moves side to side when I push/pull on it. The back wheel doesn't present the same problem. And I wasn't clear but, I didn't try a new wheel. My description of the steps taken are all with the same original wheel. But that's a good point, I can see if the shop has another wheel we can put on to verify if the problem replicates with a different wheel. I guess the problem with that is that both times I went to the shop, I left with a wheel that seemed to work ok, it got wobbly and/or resistant again in a matter of a few minutes of riding. And by « resistant », I mean that if I try spinning the wheel, something creates drag and stops the wheel from spinning freely. To my eye, it seems like the brake pads may be rubbing on the disc. I figure the shop would have caught that if it was the issue, but maybe not. I'll take a closer look at it.

Otherwise, maybe you're on to something with saying it could be a bent axle. I know it's hard to diagnose without seeing it. But at least I now have some ideas of what it could be and can discuss those with the shop and hopefully get a lasting fix.

Thanks again!! I REALLY appreciate your help. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.