Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
norcalchico said:
I currently have Front: Tioga Yellow Kirin 26 x 2.1 kevlar with slo rebound tread, Rear: 26 x 2.1 Blue Dragon on the Gt bike I purchased.

Are these tires very good for all mountain cross country ridding or should I switch to the IRC mythosxc tires I have hanging around here?

Thanks
if you have em, try em for yourself. Probably a bit more grippy than the Tiogas, which I think have pretty small tread knobs right?
Mythos aren't a bad tire, just not my fave around here.

·
No good in rock gardens..
4,439 Posts
The Mythos will be a lot smaller than those big Tiogas - even a 2.1 Mythos will be smaller than a 2.1 Tioga. (which measure 2.2)

The Mythos will be lighter.

I've used the Blue Dragon and didn't find it very grippy for a fat, soft compound tyre.

·
Registered
278 Posts
had the same tires on my GT...the yellow kirins (front) are still in good shape after 7 mos of riding mutiple times each weekend. the blue dragons are worn a bit in the center treads. just got a pait of Kenda's with the sticky rubber...have read good things so we'll see. riding 2.1 in the rear and 2.35 front.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I really like the Tiogas I am running. I have a light weight XC bike that I run Tioga Red
Phoniex tires on and a Trail bike I use Tioga Factory XC extreme tires on. The 2.1 Factory Extreme tires are Wider than the Tioga Blue Dragons and WTB Motoraptors 2.24 they weigh in at 570 grams.
Very nice tire and check out the price.....

http://store.airbomb.com/ItemDesc.asp?Link=Froogle&IC=TR7164

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
I have the mythos and the rear is good. The front washes out easliy in the turns. I prefer a bigger front tire. I have switched the front to a diesel pro 2.5 but I still have the mythos 2.1 on the rear. I ride up and down on muddy, rocky, technical, Pisgah conditions.

·
No good in rock gardens..
4,439 Posts
doug4sail said:
I really like the Tiogas I am running. I have a light weight XC bike that I run Tioga Red
Phoniex tires on and a Trail bike I use Tioga Factory XC extreme tires on. The 2.1 Factory Extreme tires are Wider than the Tioga Blue Dragons and weigh in at 570 grams.
Very nice tire and check out the price.....

http://store.airbomb.com/ItemDesc.asp?Link=Froogle&IC=TR7164
Yep - I've run several Extreme's - a very underrated tyre. Big bag, grippy compound but light and fairly easy pedalling. These kill the Blue Dragon in all respects. They wirk well in loose stuff and can be runn pretty soft due to the big bag.

The little Red Phoenix gives amazing rear grip for its size too - and an equally amazingly fast rate of wear. I have run them on the rear with an Extreme up front, and they work well together.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.