Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any body else riding Tioga Factory DH tires?They seem to have really mixed reviews but i just got some and they seem really good.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
CanadianHooligan said:
Any body else riding Tioga Factory DH tires?They seem to have really mixed reviews but i just got some and they seem really good.
i got mine on my 03 stinky, i liked them, but i haven't been through a lot of tires so i don't know too much.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I did not like them. they felt squirmy to me...

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I havent taken them out for any hard or longer rides or any jumping but they seem really nice.I might go screw around with this little dirt jump tomorrow,but its really soo small it wont be a big test,the only reason i might go hit it is because its about a minte ride from my house lol.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
if you want atyre with a really hard compund that doesnt grip in the wet or grip period on any trail and wipes out so easly when comes in contact with roots then get it...otherwise dont...michelin tyres are the best...no argument...

(intense good but not as good)

·
bored
168 Posts
I like them for dirt jumping/mountaincross, and they're not bad for aggressive trail riding, but they absolutely suck IMO for DH. They are way behind all the other tires on the market (it seems like they were the best tire five or six years ago, but haven't changed since then).

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
i am using em on my current DJ bike and i hate them...the ruckus has no grip and looses it so easily on sand...i quite frankly hate them...

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So these tires get a lot of mixed reviews..i gues some ppl like them and some dont.Their better for DJing than DH?Well thats ok caus ill probably be doing more DJing than DH anyways.You really like them WCH?

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Dude, they're fine. There are definitely nicer tires (for some applications) but these have also found favor with some people who can ride well (WCH for example). Those other tires are also going to be more expensive, blahdedy blah blah blah. I'd stop worrying about what other people think and just ride the damn things already. Its not like your tires will refuse to hook up because of what someone says on this forum, and its equally unlikely that an endorsement by a pro is going to magically make them the best tires you've ever ridden.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ya i know Im riding them and i know that it wont make a difference what people on this forum say but I was just wondering what they thought abuot them. :eek:

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
CanadianHooligan said:
Ya i know Im riding them and i know that it wont make a difference what people on this forum say but I was just wondering what they thought abuot them. :eek:
No, I feel ya. I ride one as my rear tire and have been perfectly happy with it, but I'll probably try something else when this one wears out. I'm just saying that these are what they are - middle range tires that you can pick up cheap. If you want stuff that everyone raves about you'll probably have to pony up some more cash.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
.WestCoastHucker. said:
i always use them on my dj bikes, wouldn't ever use anything else.....
true dat, but i want to add one thing. i ran them on a freeride bike and would have to say they were sketch at high speed drifty corners. but i was going beyond the sidewall's capability so overall for a 900 gram tire they are nice.

·
Don't skid
1,160 Posts
They came stock on my Coiler. They seems fine to me but I really don't have enough experience with other tires to tell the difference. I guess that doesn't help does it?

·
Administrator
11,694 Posts
FWIW, although I suspect as a canuck you may not experience this, they seriously kick ass in the desert. They have good grip on hard, hardpack and have a long life. I find that the ground is so hard here that softer compound tires squirm a lot and have the feeling of getting low on pressure since they stick so hard, but the harder tioga's tend to drift predictably and have fantastic tread life. I have tried so many tires down here and those really were the best, but this only works for me in the desert so your experiences may vary.

cheers,

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Its really good to know they have a long life.Thanks for your input.I dont haev much dessert up hre but do you think they will react the same on hard packed soil?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Tioga DH's - Another thumbs down.

I got a pair of these OEM on my Kona Scrap. I ride on the wet coast and those things suck in the rain. First major trailride my bike slid out from under me on an off camber skinny bending my front rotor. Man was I Pi$$ed. I'm running Kujo's now - they're not perfect but they're cheap and they work reasonably well. I'm thinking about getting some bluegroove/nevegal's when I wear these out as I tend to suffer for my adrenaline.

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
CanadianHooligan said:
I've used these tires for years on my trail bike. Here are the pros and cons:

Pros: cheap
thick sidewalls for the weight
have lasted me a long time, durable
can run 20 to 30 psi depending on your use

cons: sketchy cornering, lots of drift and slide

if most of your riding doesn't involve cornering in loose or sandy conditions, I think they will suit your need just fine.

BTW, if any of you are thinkng of trying tioga's yellow kirin, here's my report on them. They have the same sidewall thickness as the factory dh tires. They measured 2.3 when I first put them on, but stretched to 2.4 within two weeks of having 30 psi in them. The sticker rubber wears fast, and is actually starting to degrade or decompose. These tires are about a month old, and they're falling apart. And they have the same poor if not worse cornering characteristics as the factory dh. I do not recommend yellow kirins.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts