Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im coming from an old school WTB sst.k saddle which is pretty firm itself. this isnt on my bike yet, ill know soon enough when i get my bike back from my buddy.
the saddle looks very well made, the cutouts are very precise and it does flex as advertised, even the side corners flex a lot.
it looks like it could take a good beating too.

·
395 Fat Tire Council
296 Posts
Jersey said:
im coming from an old school WTB sst.k saddle which is pretty firm itself. this isnt on my bike yet, ill know soon enough when i get my bike back from my buddy.
the saddle looks very well made, the cutouts are very precise and it does flex as advertised, even the side corners flex a lot.
it looks like it could take a good beating too.
Looks like it might work for me, I just ordered one up so we'll see.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Jersey, the saddle looks amazing, but I'm afraid it will not be too comfortable...

I used Tioga MC Lite S (187g) just for 2 months and it had a similar shape to your Spider. I had to get rid off this saddle, it was unfortunately extremely uncomfortable, particularly during XC races :(

Attachments

·
Registered
233 Posts
Please give a review of these after some miles... I'm really interested in the confort of some of these "hard" but flexy saddles. Right now I'm on an aspide fx, so not exactly super cushy....

·
Registered
155 Posts
Isn't the feel of the saddle completely dependent on rider's backside bone structure? I mean some people feel comfortable on SLR others are not - so the only way to know is by trial and error. I think of all the bicycle parts - this choce is the most subjective one.
One thing that could help is comparing one saddle to another that is a more popular model, this way there is a point of reference.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i havent ridden on the saddle yet, but ive sat on it and peddled around a bit and believe it or not the "flex" technology bologna tioga claims really does work. the shell manages to flex just enough to give you a sense of forgiveness. but dont get me wrong, it is still VERY thin and surface area is as little or less than an SLRs.
ive ridden flites and SLRs in the past with no real complaints and this saddle is quite similar in feel and dimension.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Jersey said:
i havent ridden on the saddle yet, but ive sat on it and peddled around a bit and believe it or not the "flex" technology bologna tioga claims really does work. the shell manages to flex just enough to give you a sense of forgiveness. but dont get me wrong, it is still VERY thin and surface area is as little or less than an SLRs.
ive ridden flites and SLRs in the past with no real complaints and this saddle is quite similar in feel and dimension.
Sweet im getting one new week.

I found a place that sells them for $75

·
Registered
796 Posts
Before, you said the rails are cromoly. Now they are hollow aluminum?

An SLR (hollow Ti rails) weighs the same but if you remove the leather and padding, you're left with a 115-120 g SLR. How can the rails of this Tioga possibly be lighter than the Ti rails of an SLR when the bare SLR weighs ~25 g less than the Tioga and doesn't have 50 holes cut in the surface?

·
Registered
233 Posts
eurorider said:
Before, you said the rails are cromoly. Now they are hollow aluminum?

An SLR (hollow Ti rails) weighs the same but if you remove the leather and padding, you're left with a 115-120 g SLR. How can the rails of this Tioga possibly be lighter than the Ti rails of an SLR when the bare SLR weighs ~25 g less than the Tioga and doesn't have 50 holes cut in the surface?
I've never seen saddle rails of aluminum. Cromoly/ti/ or vanadium alloy. Never aluminum. It would break, from the vertical forces on the horizontally aligned thin rails.

BTW, any more info on this saddle? It looks pretty cool, to set off a bike, make it different. Is it durable? How does it compare to an aspide?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.