Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Thicc Member
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tioga's site hasn't been updated yet and I don't see any press releases, but I do see these tires in stock at various places.

Differences btw the 2018 version:
Casing: 60 tpi instead of 120tpi casing, sidewall reinforcement for stability at low pressures.
Rubber: softer rubber, dual layer, but it doesn't appear to have a dual outer layer.
Fitment: 30mm minimum rim recommendation

On paper this looks like an excellent improvement over the first version and an excellent option for general trail use.

Best price I've found is $65 at Blue Sky. Tioga Edge 22 Soft Front Tubeless Folding Tire 29 x 2.5

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
It's a PHENOMENAL front tire. I've been riding prototype softs for well over a year and I'm just, just it's love.

It's so predicable and transitions just so nicely to the side knobs, is damped so well, rolls so darn fast combined with amazing level of traction. It's light too at sub 1000 grams.

To be clear it rolls amazingly well for what it is, a very high grip tire. Rolls better than a DHF 2.5 DC compound while having better traction than the 3C. I like it better than many tires including Assagai, Mazza, all the other suspects, etc... The Mazza is the closest in overall performance, the Mazza just rolls a heck of a lot slower.

I freakin' adore this tire.

·
Thicc Member
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've also been testing a prototype that I like very much, but how sure are you that this production version is the same as the prototype?

I'm considering getting one of the hard compound versions for the rear.

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
I've also been testing a prototype that I like very much, but how sure are you that this production version is the same as the prototype?

I'm considering getting one of the hard compound versions for the rear.
I can only go off of what Tioga told me. They told me what I'm riding now is the new production tire, only full production will be slightly lighter.

I've went thru 3 versions and I'm on my 3rd or 4th of the soft version.

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
What bike do you have it on?

I have it on my 100/120 downcountry bike. I found the knobs not aggressive enough for my enduro bike.
I have it on my SJ Evo and in most situations it has more traction than an Assagai. But I don't ride loam or mud.

The initial version that is the production trail version now, still has an ideal tread pattern but just didn't have enough mechanical adhesion due to an overly hard compound. Still, it's a great trail tire. If it was a bit smaller I'd run the trail E22 on my Spur.

Which version did you test? The current proto softs were first made about 6 months ago.

·
Registered
14,361 Posts
I found cornering on the original version very odd and undesirable. Super fast though, I agree with that.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I have it on my SJ Evo and in most situations it has more traction than an Assagai. But I don't ride loam or mud.

The initial version that is the production trail version now, still has an ideal tread pattern but just didn't have enough mechanical adhesion due to an overly hard compound. Still, it's a great trail tire. If it was a bit smaller I'd run the trail E22 on my Spur.

Which version did you test? The current proto softs were first made about 6 months ago.

What conditions do you ride in? I'm in SoCal and thinking about this for the front of my enduro bike in the soft compound to replace a butcher that I love. I get along well with Assegais, dhf, butcher, and eliminators

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
I found cornering on the original version very odd and undesirable. Super fast though, I agree with that.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
I run mine on a 33 mm ID front wheel and with inserts as a run on all of my tires.
Not sure what would have caused your issues? To me it's the most natural leaning Tire I've ever encountered.
Also worth mentioning here is that it's a long-lasting tire that maintains traction for a long time. I usually notice a significant drop off in front wheel traction with pretty much all the tires as soon as the knobs lose their edge sharpness which usually just takes a handful of rides. But the E- 22 has so much excess traction that even when it looks pretty worn it's still just fine.

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
What conditions do you ride in? I'm in SoCal and thinking about this for the front of my enduro bike in the soft compound to replace a butcher that I love. I get along well with Assegais, dhf, butcher, and eliminators

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would consider Central Texas conditions a lot like SoCal from the photos I've seen. And the brief time I lived there.
Dry and Rocky with loose stuff on top of hard pack.

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
You guys running this on the front only? What do you pair it with on the rear?
I combine mine with a Schwalbe Rock Razor Super Trail. To me it's a pretty unbeatable combination for this application. I wish I had a hair more braking and climbing traction out of the rock razor but the trade-offs for low rolling resistance are worth it to me.

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
I have a 30mm rear wheel I can use.

I never said I didn't like my tire, just that I would think that the feedback the testers have given would be factored into a modified production version.
An April tire was half a dozen prototypes in, so in fact the tire you tested had already been the result of previous feedback. Can't speak to your specific feedback but it might not have jived with what other testers reported.
Tire production in general combined with the covid situation means lead times are many many months. Tire was already delayed about a year as av result. Sure the next version produced next year might have some additional updates but frankly it's already a superior tire.
I'd like to see Tioga have access to the Tyre compounds that Schwalbe, Continental, Vittoria and even Specialized have now. These compounds are superior to the other brands. Unfortunately often the tread patterns are less ideal than the compound.

1 - 20 of 126 Posts