Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

after enjoying this forum passively I want to ask readers for their recommendation when is usually off-season bike sale in AZ ? Is it also brand dependent?
Currently with no bike (had to sell the Gravity FSX 2.0 and Diamond 29er), I am itching not to wait for the end of June when I believe the "last season" sale starts to get a better bike..
Specifically I have my eye on Giant Trance 27.5 3 (or 2 if I can get that Canadian model).
I am mostly around the Taliesin loop. Will need FS and would like to stay below $2000.

·
SamuraiBunnyGuy
2,587 Posts
just like cars, previous years' models are discounted after the new model year bikes are released.
you'll also have a better chance of finding a deal if you're looking for a really big frame or a really small one

·
Meatbomb
7,219 Posts
That's what happened to me. I got a smoking deal on my current bike because it was last years model and an XL that was collecting dust.

OP.. find out who sells the bike you want and call them to see when the new models will come in.

The longer you can wait the better the deal will be but also the bigger risk of them all being sold.

·
Give it a crank
2,995 Posts
If you can't wait, you can find pretty good deals on used bikes in places like PinkBike and Craigslist. Many good bikes get sold there at good prices by owners who just got new bikes.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
I got a smokin deal on a Scott Spark just by searching the web... These guys were selling off their rentals... Even though they were used, they are sold as new with Scott warranty.

Village Sport Shop

511 Broad St.
CALEDONIA
05851 Lyndonville
United States of America
T: (802)626-8448
F: (802)626-1157

I agree with the other post in here that says whenever the new models show up. A month after that happens, is when to start looking for last year's stock or rentals. That depends on the brand. I thnk Scott was very late this year in that 2014 models starting coming out in February of this year ( I think ).

·
Vincit qui patitur
745 Posts
Some online retailers have 2013s in stock too.
If you have a good idea on what you want don't wait too long since popular sizes go quick.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Most bike shops that keep a rental fleet usually have great deals when the new years' models come in and they replenish/replace their fleets. And while the rental bikes may have seen many miles, you can be assured that they have been well-maintained by the shop owners/mechanics. Also as others have said here, check around for last years' models at clearance prices. October is a good time of year, but it will vary brand-to-brand. I can tell you that when I was a KHS dealer, I could get some very fine deals for customers who were willing to get a "new" two-year old bike. As good (sometimes better) components, a LOT of bike for the money, just not the latest flash everyone else is buying this year. And speaking of KHS, look at those brands that make great bikes, but that the masses tend to overlook. Jamis also comes to mind. Great bikes, high-end components, 2 to 4K will get you what you'd spend 4 to 6K for one of the better-marketed brands (example - compare the 2014 KHS Prescott with the 2014 Specialized Epic Carbon 29er). People might turn up their nose at your lesser-known brand, but what counts is how you like it, how it rides, what sort of savings you can get on a good bike. Bottom line, how it makes you feel when you're bombing along your favorite trail, the wind in your ears, the crunch of dirt beneath your tires, and that big-a$$ grin on your face. Shop around. Test ride test ride test ride. Good luck in your choice, and enjoy the hell out of your decision.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,374 Posts
The off-season?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
BMC out

Check out Sunday Cycles ..
Thanks for all the advices. Today I got out of work earlier so drove to Sunday Bicycles. They have no large or XL left from 2013. The medium there was still above $2k.

Wanted to check Giant but Bicycles of Phoenix but were closed at 6pm.
Will wait for the July <?> sale on Trance 3 27.5 or grab something for the meantime on craigslist.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Thanks for all the advices. Today I got out of work earlier so drove to Sunday Bicycles. They have no large or XL left from 2013. The medium there was still above $2k.

Wanted to check Giant but Bicycles of Phoenix but were closed at 6pm.
Will wait for the July <?> sale on Trance 3 27.5 or grab something for the meantime on craigslist.
Man, sorry that turned out to be a dead end for you.

Came across a Niner Jet 9 on Price Point for $1899. It's an X7 build but not bad for a Niner. I ride a Jet 9 Medium and love it. Here's a link: Niner Jet 9 Price Point Pro Build X7 Bike - $3400 Retail Value | Bikes | Niner | www.PricePoint.com

Good luck with the bike search.

tony

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How good a deal would be trance 27.5 1 ridden twice for $2750 ? frankly it is above my price target and not sure I would differentiate it from $1900 trance 27.5 3...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Father's day and still bike-less

ask them if they would be willing to ride it 3 more times and knock another $150 off
Won't happen :madman: I waited too long and the Giant Trance 1 sold days ago when I checked today to get myself a present, I am father x 5, right ? Last time it was $2500, a good deal.
And now the Trance 3 goes for full retail.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I picked up a new ride around August 1st last year. Lots of 2014's on the floor, so the 2013's were going for good prices. If you wait for the 2015's to show up on the floor, check all vendors, local and online. Some shops will price match if what they are matching is advertised publicly. I was able to drop in a carbon wheels, dropper post, and XT pedals for the same out the door price by doing this.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts