Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Xtr=x0²
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I want bars like these but I don´t know if they fit, and whats negative about them.
Can someone explain what the downsides are with bars like these? What am I giving up vs risers?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Thats interesting. Seems they are running Shimano's DI2 electronic shifting system with the time trial bars/brakes.

As for what you giving up? It dosent look to be much more different than running a flat bar with bar ends.

·
Xtr=x0²
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sundragon said:
Thats interesting. Seems they are running Shimano's DI2 electronic shifting system with the time trial bars/brakes.

As for what you giving up? It dosent look to be much more different than running a flat bar with bar ends.
Would I have to run a shorter stem vs riser bars for everything to be comfy?

The owner of that particular bike chopped up a road pretzel bar to make that bar, how do you make it work with regular shifters??

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
The bar will probably be narrow. MTB brake levers or shifters won't fit "road" bars: Road disc brakes will work. At the moment only mechanicals are widely available (BB7 Road?).

·
Registered
89 Posts
alivio said:
Would I have to run a shorter stem vs riser bars for everything to be comfy?

The owner of that particular bike chopped up a road pretzel bar to make that bar, how do you make it work with regular shifters??
Im guessing you might need a road stem to get the right diameter clamp for the bar. Im not sure. As for length, I think it would depend on your personal comfort/fit.

As the bar is likely a smaller diameter than a mountain bar, you would have to rig up some kind of shim on the clamp to make them fit the bar. But if you use regular mountain bike shifters then you wouldnt be able to brake at and shift from the same hand position. The only way I can think of to make it work in the time trail brake lever config is the DI2.

I still dont see any advantage to this over running a flat bar with bar ends. Everything would fit fine, same hand positons while riding, and not having to spend a lot of dollars on DI2.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
Different diameters between road and MTB bars :madman:

Different enough that it won't work :madman: :madmax: :madman:
Maybe with some serious modding, if you really want to.

Of course, you could try to get a custom bar in MTB size... maybe ask http://groovycycleworks.com/

It won't be cheap.

edit:

Road bar are bigger diameter at the grips and levers:

"The common mountain bike straight handlebar, the hybrid upright handlebar, and Trekking bar diameter are all 7/8" (22.2 mm.) "

"However, this is smaller than the current road handlebar diameter of 15/16" (23.8 mm.)"

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/deakins/handlebars.html

·
Xtr=x0²
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ther will be no spending of dollars on DI2 that I can assure you. So road bars are smaller diameter usually, ok, thats doable, maybe I can shim the stem too? I think the levers on that bike is mounted inside the tube of the bar, and shifters I could shim maybe.

Grip area of my bars are 22 mm. and the stem is a tiny bit smaller then 32 mm.

What is the standard for road gear?

·
Misses elastomer shocks
234 Posts
I'm amazed that nobody has brought up the Zoom Brahma bar from the days of yore or the Scott AT-2. Made for MTB. Problem solved.

I must be old if I'm the only one that remembers these :)

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
Geared or singlespeed bike?

If it's a singlespeed, just get time trial brake levers and road mechanical disc brakes. Or get a curvy bar like suprcivic suggests and install your brake levers wherever you want them. They'll look a bit funky but work fine.

For geared, you have to decide where you want your shifters. People have often been successful with mangling the clamp on MTB shifters that few extra mm to fit on a road bar. I would recommend a shifter with a steel clamp if you go that route. Another thing you can do is get a set of these

http://www.paulcomp.com/rdthumbie.html

and shim them a little, since the main body of a road bar is smaller than 26.0mm. (Maybe 25.4?) Then you'd be able to use a standard down tube shifter. You'd be expensively recreating the indexed thumb shifters that those of us old enough to remember the Scott AT-2 also remember.

You could also just do drop bars, and get standard STI levers. Or STI levers mounted to the bottom of the bullhorns - ugly, but it seems to work okay.

I gotta say... I like my bar-ends a lot, but I really like having a nice, wide, flat grip area for descending and technical riding. Have you experimented with bar ends? You can put them inboard of the grips too...

·
Xtr=x0²
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Its for a geared bike. I have had barends on all my bikes and after a while removed them because they stole valueable real estate on the bars, bars were short then. And those did not come with shifters and brake levers nicely located where the barend were, like thiese. but there were clamp on brakelever extensions for the levers I rfemember, didn´t work very well..

In some way I will get this to work, I think some modifications is required. Probably I have to buy new shifters too,

·
Xtr=x0²
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You can use regular road shifters with time trial bars?? I mean shifter/brake combos?
If I use shimano a RD all problems would be solved right?? Thats pure genius kiatkiat!

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
alivio said:
You can use regular road shifters with time trial bars?? I mean shifter/brake combos?
If I use shimano a RD all problems would be solved right?? Thats pure genius kiatkiat!
It might help if you give us a little insight as to what you ride/have now and what you want. :) Why do you want to run these bars?

You can find road bars in a 31.6 clamp diameter, so while the bars might fit the stem ..... who's to say the bar will fit you? If I may .....

Have you looked at how your body is positioned on the bike right now? If you swap that bar only, meaning no change to the stem, then you're going to move your hands closer together (traditionally shaped road bars come 40, 42 and 44 cm wide - take a tape measure to your bike and compare it while on the bike) and you're going to move your hands/body forward and down.

Do you really want to do this? Or do you just like the looks? :)

I'm not trying to be an a$$ or nothing! I've looked at this change as well because it would work well for me/my bike, but I have to run a very short/high-rise stem.

Then there's the brakes/shifters ..... imho, better to run a road STI set up if using Shimano stuff. Or you can get Paul Component's Thumbies with traditional road thumb shifters.

Lots of options. Search. Read up.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.