Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've been at this for a while now and I think it's time for a more high end bike or better components. Right now I'm Riding a 2010 Cannondale Trail 2 with all OEM parts. things are starting to get a little worn now which leads me to my question. Would I be smart to start replacing things (Fork, Wheelset, etc.) with better components or buy a bike that comes with the better components? I'm 20, I ride pretty hard, and I don't plan on quitting anytime soon. :) Any input from you experienced goats will be appreciated thanks!

Matt

·
Registered
407 Posts
It's usually a lot more cost effective to replace the whole bike, rather than to buy higher end parts and put them on your existing frame. If you just replace parts when they wear out with higher end replacements you can spread out the cost, but then you wont get the excitement of a new bike.

·
mtbr member
132 Posts
I have been riding for several years and I am on my 3rd mtb so I am not an "experienced goat" by any stretch of the imagination but I was in a situation very much like yours. I too am in my 20's, I had an entry level bike and cash flow was limited. I decided I wanted to upgrade. The component route got me nowhere fast. I wanted faster geometry, lighter everything and better components so looked at my options. I weighed the benefits of buying a bike within my price range:

1. Buy a brand new bike from my LBS
+ All the components would be new, I would have the luxury of my LBS sizing it and setting up for me and I could get one fairly soon (a drive down to the bike shop).
- However I would be paying for the new bike smell and it wasn't a huge upgrade to my current bike.

2. Buy a new bike online
+ Again, new bike from the top down, I could get a better deal online *if I found free shipping and I could get a brand not carried in my area.
- No LBS setup, still not a dramatic upgrade over my current bike. A week or two for shipping.

3. Craigslist
+ For the same price as a new bike I could get a much nicer bike and I could pay cash and bring the price down
- Risk of - wrong fit, worn or beat up components and no knowledge of bike history. The biggest drawback for me was patience. I waited a few months before a bike came up that was my size, price range and value that I was looking for.

I ended going the Craigslist route. I am extremely happy with what I got and the price I paid. The seller was a racer who got out of the sport right after they built up the bike I bought. It had been sitting for a couple years and looked almost brand new. Craigslist, for me, was money in the bank.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! I think I'm going to go with the new bike smell though. I just needed to hear it from an outside source. I going to order a Canfield Bros. Yelli Screamy tomorrow and build it exactly how I want it over the next couple months while I ride my other rig into the ground!

This is going to be fun.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts