Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a 37 year old, 190-195 pound, 5'11.5" cross country rider. I will do some non-competitive racing and a couple of adventure races. I like the fitness aspect and just enjoying the time on the trails but I ride hard (for me) and seem to be hard on bikes. I like to climb more than descend (well, not exactly true, but I would pick a bike that will climb better. I can enjoy any bike on descent - just have to slow down.) I guess I do tend to goof around a bit trying log rides and other obstacles and jumps along the trials.

Anyway - I am thinking about trying one of the boutique makers this time and will be purchasing only the frameset. I will be re-using a Fox Float 100mm fork so I want to match it to a frame designed around this much travel.

A local friend has got me very interested in trying a Yeti ASR but I have never ridden one. My research seems to indicate that this is a good choice. I have some concerns about durability with any racing oriented frameset. I could consider the Yeti 575 for more durability, but I really don't think I want an Enduro style bike as I really do XC riding and prefer the speed and agility over doing big drops.

So do you think the ASR will hold up to a few years of use by a heavier XC rider such as myself?

For the record I broke the Stumpjumper rear suspension about 4 times. 3 times it was the bolt that goes through the shock eye. It just broke in half at the shock eye. The final break down was the specialized linkage piece cracked.

If I go with the Yeti should I get a large? My stumpjumper is a Large.

I was also looking at the VPP bikes and the Titus Racer-X but have not ridden these either.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I switched from a SJ FSR to a Moto Lite an love it. I am about the same size as you just tad taller. 100mm fork will work on the Racer X but if sounds like you like to do some obstacles. If that is the case you should look more towards the ML, or Intense. Not sure about the Intense but the ML a fork in the 120-130 range works better with the geometery. If you have a fork already form the SJ the steer tube may be to short if it was cut for SJ. The head tube on my ML is about .75" biggere than the SJ. Something to check.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I weigh about 190lbs @ 5' 10''

and have rode an old Santa Cruz Superlight for the last 4 years with no issue and zero maint. done.
My riding style seems close to yours and in the past I have broken two aluminum Marin hardtails at the down tube and 1 FSR at the rear swing arm.

The old style Superlight has been a superior climbing and descending bike over my past FS bikes, a 1999 S works FSR & a 2000ish Ventana Marble Peak and I hear the new Superlight is even better.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I still have my 2004 Stumpjumper fsr elite and have nothing but praise for this bike but was looking for something more for marathons/24hr events.
I went with a C'dale Carbon Rush and have not looked back since.

Never heard anything negative about the Yeti asr and highly considered a Superlight before i went with the Rush.
May also want to consider a Turner Flux.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Dwad said:
The old style Superlight has been a superior climbing and descending bike over my past FS bikes, a 1999 S works FSR & a 2000ish Ventana Marble Peak and I hear the new Superlight is even better.
Some say that anything with a single pivot design is basically outdated? I have been out of the market for a while but in jumping back into shopping mode I wonder about this conclusion. I briefly rode a Yeti 575 and it felt great. I don't know if I should focus my attention on either 4 bar, VPP, or to a lesser extent floating bottom brackets or if I should keep the Yeti in the mix.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
13pumps said:
you should look more towards the ML, or Intense. Not sure about the Intense but the ML a fork in the 120-130 range works better with the geometery.
Hmmm. Even from reading the Titus website it is hard to see what the differences are between the motolite and the RacerX. I assume the Motolite is a little burlier with a little more travel and a little more weight. maybe this is what I need. I guess i would have to pony up for a new fork though as well.

Hmmmmm. got me thinking.....

·
EDR
10,722 Posts
ryanmcq said:
Am I incorrect in considering anything with a single pivot design basically outdated?.
Lots of people will automatically say 'yes'. I am not one of those people. The ASR is at/near the very top of a fairly short list of cream of the crop race bikes...and it's a single pivot.

A properly designed single pivot frame like the 575 (modified sp) is a joy to ride. All designs have their inherent pro's and con's, every one of them. You could spend days researching this and still come away with no real answers. I suggest you just find a bike you love to ride and try not to worry about the other stuff.

As far as what bike you need, I'd say you need a little burlier bike than a 4'' travel race bike. Today's 5 to 6'' travel bikes pedal extremely well and are more fun on the other stuff. With a slacker geometry they are more stable but still handle very well. A bike like the 575, Mojo, Motolite, Spot, Endorphin, etc sounds like what you need. These bikes are mostly built around 130 to160mm travel fork however so the handling, although preferable to me to a xc bike may not be to your liking if you want a quicker handling machine.

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
I would agree...

single pivot can be one of the best rides for a burlier rider with a penchant for air and drops, but not huge ones (on a single pivot XC/AM design). Heckler comes to mind also as a great all around ride that can be light and fast, or built for serious FR DH capability.

I'm similar @ 5'11" - 185lb with a Stumpy (06 Expert) and I ride Vancouver's Norshore with it, which obviously isn't your basic XC ride. Never had any issues excect a failed shock day one, and rear brake day 2. No axle issues at all, but I'm thinking the 100mm of the OP means an older FSR?

Anyhow, in my quest for bombproof and light and hard riding/descents, I've picked the Knolly Endorphin as my next ride, simply as it's bombproof. It can be built as light as 26 lbs, but mine will be closer to 30 with bigger tires/tubes and stronger wheels.

Good luck with your search...the good news is that it's getting increasingly more difficult to buy a ride you don't like.

Cheers, Jim

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
One thing which is rarely discussed is suspension design reliability and service.

Single pivots are the easiest to service because there is only one pivot to work with. With no engineering background, I have heard that single pivots are only adequate with durability because of the stress on the one pivot.

I haven't heard of a problem with the SJ until now but I will have to file it into the database.

VPP's have good durability although I have heard of quick bearing wear (although Santa Cruz is offering lifetime warranties on the bearings).

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
I had a 04 Stumpjumper, then went with a 05 Moto Lite, and now have a Knolly Endorphin.

I have liked all three bikes. Probably I was at my strongest in endurance for XC when I had the SJ, but the ML felt stiffer and nicer, and more maneouverable. The ML is a pretty versatile bike, pedals pretty good, its stiff and light. The new Titus FTM (I think it's not out yet) looks also pretty good, but it comes with an updated price tag.

About the Endorphin, well, wow. Probably I still have the new bike syndrome, but I think it is very, very good. The bike weights more than my ML, but I think it's not just because of the frame, I have a heavier fork and probably some heavier parts. But, it pedals pretty well. But, to me, it climbs so it can go down. I don't see any bike that I would have prefered for me now (it's a personal question, there are a lot of nice bikes out there). If you really like to climb, probably the FTM could be a better choice, it would probably be lighter, but both are top contenders. Knolly quality is pretty much top notch. Titus is also pretty good, at least, I felt that my ML was pretty good. The SJ was nice, but I did crack the seatstay when I broke my deraileur, I think that the SJ is just not as tough as my other bikes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you to everyone for the responses. I've done some research and thinking and have spoken to some experienced retailers/dealers/friends. I made the decision to try a Titus Mololite. This means I have to upgrade my fork too but I found a smokin' deal on a lightly used demo frameset with Talas fork for less than what a frame would normally cost. Seems like a really good start.

Since the last time I bought a bike there seems to have been a whole new category created between XC race and Enduro/All Mountain. Pretty cool as it really is just what I need.

Now to get ready for the build...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.