Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Retro Grouch
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently asked the question What is your go to saddle? and showed my Sella Italia saddle below. Well it turns out it is a Flite "Alpes" saddle that I have three of and not your run of the mill Flite saddle. The Alpes was a saddle primarily sold in Europe as a mountain bike saddle (the edges were trimmed ala the early Bontragers; you can see this trimming in the bottom shots) . So I guess it was no surprise that I went from a Bonty to the Alpes. This would also explain why I didn't think a regular Flite was as comfortable as the Alpes. Of course there are no more Aples being made so I'm looking for something new. I trimmed the list down to a Selle Italia SLR XC and a Ritchey WCS Streem; I'm leaning toward the Selle Italia which has a similar trimming as the Alpes. I included a photo of an old Bontrager saddle in case some of the younger riders don't know what I'm talking about.

Attachments

·
Retro Grouch
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
erik1245 said:
Why can't you just re-post in your own thread?
Well, the main reason is I am no longer interested in what saddle someone else uses. This post was to describe what I discovered about one of Selle Italia's first forays in making a mountain bike saddle. I also find it interesting that after over a 100 years of Italian road saddle styling, Selle Italia used the old Bontrager trick to design a mountain bike saddle. Also, it turned out there was a lot more difference between the standard old style Flite Ti and the Alpes Ti, and I find this kind of trivia fascinating and worth a post of it's own.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.