Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start off by saying what my main rig is right now. I ride a dinosaur. In other words it's a 09 Epic Expert Carbon. Yep, that's a 26er with a 3x9 setup! It was a custom build. I managed to get a hold of the frameset (frame & fork) and built it up from there. Put a lot of time & money into it and had it down to a even 22lbs. I love that bike. And still do but I think it is now holding me back.

I've ridden some 29ers and haven't been over impressed with them. They still kind of feel big to me. But I have ridden some that don't feel so big. I'm in the process of arranging a test ride on a epic 29er. But that is not my only concern when making the jump.

Like I said my current bike is an old 3x9. Has anyone missed their 3x9 setup went they to a 2x10 or a 1x11?

I’m looking at getting the Epic Expert Carbon (2x10) or the World Cup version (1x11). Like the price tag of the Comp much better but don’t think I would be as happy with it. And in reality I would still end up spending the same amount of cash by doing upgrades. I am ready to pull the trigger and buy one but need to do a test ride before hand.

With all that said. I think my biggest concern is going from a 26er to a 29er. I think the gearing will be easy to get use to because I am also use to riding a SS. So I’m somewhat use to not having those high & low end gears. I know 29 isn’t for everyone and want to make sure it is for me before I dump that kind of money on one. But 26” is pretty much extinct and the 3x9 are right there with them. So those are not even an option. But…… I’m sure Specialized will be introducing a 650b soon (I would bet for 2015) and now I’m debating if I should wait for them……Decisions……UGH!!!

I know I can go get a 650b from other bike manufactures now, but I can get a much better deal on specialized and quite frankly I like them.

Wow! that's a lot of useless/boring reading for you. But if your still reading what's your opinion. Should I bite the bullet or wait for the next best thing? Do you regret leaving the 26er behind? What about the 3x9?

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
First off, a 2009 is not a dinosaur at all. A lot of people would love to have a 2009 high end carbon FS bike. You are going to have to decide for yourself what you like. Go test ride some 29ers and see what you think, you might love them, you might not.

Personally I do not like 29ers at all. If I were you, I would put 650b wheels on your Epic. 650b should fit in the rear, and if you get a fox fork then it will fit the front. I used to have a 2010 Epic Expert that I had 650b wheels on, and I loved that bike. With 650b, I don't miss 26" at all. I also have gone 2x10 and don't miss the 3x9.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know it's not really a dinosaur. But I feel like it is anytime I go out for a group ride. No one rides a 26er now days and 3x9's are just as hard to find if not harder. I don't mind being the odd ball still on my little wheeled bike. But I'm wondering if I can ride better with some bigger wheels. Besides parts are going to start becoming harder to find.

Never really thought about slapping on some 650b's on my epic. If it will work with my bike that might be an option if can round up a wheelset. I don't have a fox I have a RockShox Sid WC. If I can do that maybe it will hold me over until Specialized comes up with a bike I think will fit me better. One problem is I'm sort of itching to buy a new bike.
I really don't think I'll miss the 3x9. Debate is 1x11 or 2x10. I keep leaning towards the 1x11.

·
T.W.O.
8,168 Posts
If 29er or 650b are the future we are doomed:)

Why do you need to get 1x11, 2x10, etc. I took of the big ring on my 3x9 and I was quite happy because I've never used them. One thing I do like about the new drivetrain is the Hammerschmidt, but it does not fit every bike(design) It's heavier but it's awesome. I put that on my XC ride added 2lbs and faster on the way up and down. Who woulda thunk?

Plus your Epic is such a racing machine there's no need to do much to it. Not my cup of tea but there's no question it kick ass.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
My newest ride is a 2007 RM Blizzard NOS, I built it just a 1.5 year ago, 3*9, rigid.
My 2nd newest ride is an 07 MUSS, that I've converted to 650b.
I don't waste any time thinking about not being part of the current trendy pack. I just keep the rubber side down and the corners of my mouth turned up into a smile. That said, if you are looking for something different, see if anyone in your group of your approximate size will let you test out their newer ride. Form your own biased opinion and apply it to a new ride, if that's what you really want.

·
Registered
9,519 Posts
Screw following trends - if it works for you, ride it.

Far as availability, I don't have much problem finding even 8 speed stuff (never really found 9 to be an improvement, somewhat weaker and more finicky IME); you should be fine for years as far as 9 speed goes.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Test rode a 2013 Epic comp and loved the way it handled! So I killed my bank account and ordered my 2014 Epic Expert Carbon World Cup. That's a mouth full!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts