Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately I'm finding that my RP23 really wallows in the middle of it's travel when the pro pedal is turned off. I didn't notice this as much when I first got my bike ('08 Yeti 575), but as I've gotten used to the way my bike rides, I've been able to up my aggressiveness with it. It doesn't seem to be too much of a problem on flat, technical sections. It's really a problem whenever I'm really flying on the downhills.

The sag and rebound are set up properly, and the shock performs very well when I have the pro pedal turned on. I don't mind riding with the pro pedal on however I can't help but feel like I'm not getting all the performance I can from my shock.

I'm thinking sending the shock to Push should do the trick, but I was wondering if there's anything else I can do before spending the extra money.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had an RP3 a few months ago and found the same thing. I recently replaced it with a pushed Van R from TF tuned and they told me that newer propedal shocks have their shims arranged such that there is a lot of compression damping at the beginning of the stroke, and then nothing to support the mid-stroke. As a result, they blow through their travel. They said the push upgrade adds a shim stack that works in the mid-stroke, while maintaining some propedal.

Thats my basic understanding, I'm sure someone else will explain it better than me.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Talk to PUSH or email them explaining your concern. The 575 has a rising to falling and then rising rate suspension. Basically, after a little bit of travel, it really sinks into the falling rate part and feels wallowy to some riders who are not used to that feel. I liked it a lot since it felt really plush on the DH. That is one bike where I would be dying to PUSH a shock though I cannot be sure what you are experiencing. It does have a very unique suspension curve so make sure it is the shock and not that falling rate experience you are feeling.

Do you have the high-volume sleeve on your RP23? On the 575, I have a distinct preference for the regular sleeve which is more progressive. If you have the HV sleeve, a $40 investment in the regular sleeve could solve your problem. I do like what PUSH does but I'm not convinced that the 575 is a bike they can tune effectively for. I may be wrong so I'll keep an open mind but it would be best to email them and see what they say.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BlueMountain said:
Talk to PUSH or email them explaining your concern. The 575 has a rising to falling and then rising rate suspension. Basically, after a little bit of travel, it really sinks into the falling rate part and feels wallowy to some riders who are not used to that feel. I liked it a lot since it felt really plush on the DH. That is one bike where I would be dying to PUSH a shock though I cannot be sure what you are experiencing. It does have a very unique suspension curve so make sure it is the shock and not that falling rate experience you are feeling.

Do you have the high-volume sleeve on your RP23? On the 575, I have a distinct preference for the regular sleeve which is more progressive. If you have the HV sleeve, a $40 investment in the regular sleeve could solve your problem. I do like what PUSH does but I'm not convinced that the 575 is a bike they can tune effectively for. I may be wrong so I'll keep an open mind but it would be best to email them and see what they say.
I'm going for a ride later this afternoon, so I'll definitely keep this in mind during my ride. Definitely stuff to look & feel for. My hunch is it isn't the falling rate that's bothersome; I do like the plushness of this bike. To be a bit more specific with what I'm experiencing, the bike really blows through it's travel on the downhills, particularly in hard, downhill cornering causing lots of pedal strikes if I'm pedaling through the turn.

Anyway, thank you for the fantastic feedback. I'll definitely drop Push a line and see what they say. Thanks!!!

edit:

No, I don't have the HV sleeve. I don't think that's the direction I want to go in. I don't want to loose the plushness of the 575.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay.... so I heard back from PUSH and they're recommending their tune up and air can bottom out system for the 575.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.