Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, here is my rig. I dont do too much DJ but a lot or urban and park.

My current rig is a 2004 Specialized P.2 (purchased September 2003) I mean, this thing has been very loyal to me. VERY loyal ... took schleyer whistler happily as well as A-line. It has seen numerous crashes. and a few epic XC rides.

But now, he is old, and tired. The wheels need to be rebuilt, needs completely new drive train. Fork needs rebuild. bars need replacing. needs grips ...basically needs a lot of stuff, and I personally think, its lacking in style.

So instead of replacing everything like with an argyle fork, and outlaw wheels. I think I might just buy another, re-furbish all the old parts (give it a new chain) and keep it as a backup.

Here is what I'm thinking...

younger brother.

2008 Specialized P.2

What do ya'll think? Time for a replacement? The 08' is looking SEXY. (Would have a White Argyle, old fork would go on the 04')

·
Registered
177 Posts
i just hope its nothing like the 07 P cromo, before i bought my C-dale i wanted a P2 cromo, but went i i lifted it, it felt like a down hill bike and then some. i dint like the geometry either. then i saw the chase and ended up buying that

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
rracer11 said:
i just hope its nothing like the 07 P cromo, before i bought my C-dale i wanted a P2 cromo, but went i i lifted it, it felt like a down hill bike and then some. i dint like the geometry either. then i saw the chase and ended up buying that
yea, the P. chromo can be heavy. I had a 05 P.1 with the 24" rear wheel, it weighed around 29 pounds which wasnt bad. but the P.2 can be heavy. probably wont be much heavier than my current setup. I believe my P.2 A1 is 7 pounds for the frame. The weight was probably the dirt jam fork. or also the Dj 3 as well. argyle is like 4.9 pounds, same with my stance.

Nice thing is, I'll be able to ride one before I buy it this time. Who knows, I may hate it and just have to run my P. for a while longer. but if thats the case, my P.2 is going to get massive pimpage. I would just love to run cro mo though.

The color is what gets me on the 08 !

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
asianprideryder said:
ur P.2 still looks like fun though
Thanks :D The P.2 is still very fun, but yesterday after 12 hours of Djing I was just beat to hell. my buddies on cro mo bikes were still wanting to ride more.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Either way you look at it, you're going to end up spending far more money than if you just fixed your bike...

What exactly is wrong with it?

"My wheels need to be rebuilt" often translates into a true and re-tensioning a couple spokes on MTBR...

"I need a completely new drivetrain" could really mean cleaning off the dirt that's crusted on there, a new chain, some fresh grease/lube, new cabling, and re-dialing limit screws.

In the end, it's YOUR money. Good luck.. :thumbsup:

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Why replace bars if they aren't bent or cracked?

Rebuilt wheels? Sounds like it just needs a good wheel builder to go through and even out the tension.

Rebuilt fork? Not much to rebuild. Dump out the old oil, fill it up with fresh fluids.

It sounds like you're just looking for excuses to buy a new bike.

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ray Bao said:
Either way you look at it, you're going to end up spending far more money than if you just fixed your bike...

What exactly is wrong with it?

"My wheels need to be rebuilt" often translates into a true and re-tensioning a couple spokes on MTBR...

"I need a completely new drivetrain" could really mean cleaning off the dirt that's crusted on there, a new chain, some fresh grease/lube, new cabling, and re-dialing limit screws.

In the end, it's YOUR money. Good luck.. :thumbsup:
Yea, probably.

The wheels are getting bad. I've re-tensioned them and re-tensioned them and trueing them but they are just coming loose. they've gone through 4 full years of really hard abuse, and they are just done.

New drivetrain. my RD is probably okay, but needs a new chain, chainring, cassette, pedals and BB. The hussefelt cranks are getting sort of floppy too.

Fork has been really abused and pushed way beyond its limits. Not many people DH their DJ forks. I do. :p

It all depends on how much the 08 runs for. I'm hoping for something like $899.99

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
XSL_WiLL said:
Why replace bars if they aren't bent or cracked?

Rebuilt wheels? Sounds like it just needs a good wheel builder to go through and even out the tension.

Rebuilt fork? Not much to rebuild. Dump out the old oil, fill it up with fresh fluids.

It sounds like you're just looking for excuses to buy a new bike.
Bars bent
Fork needs new seals, bushings and fluid (easy fix)
Wheels just arent going to last anymore. my ditchwitch gave in today when it split at the seam where it was pinned. I'm lacing a spare rim to it right now.

No excuses. The bike is tired.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Yea, the P2 looks awesome. Have you ever rode a STP, that would be awesome to have P2 and STP, maybe you should try an 08 just to see how it feels.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.