Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Praise Bob
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this topic has been beat to death, but I was hoping that the newer technology has closed the gap between coil and air.

I have a '06 Moment that I am seriously thinking about putting on a diet. Over the years I have suffered the weight penalty of coil shock & fork because of how vastly better it worked on that frame. The bike came with a dhx air & 36 Talas and they both sucked beyond belief.

I ride what I consider truely "all mountain" - aggressive XC, jumps, drops and the occasional lift assisted bike park. I have really loved what the bike has done for me but as I get older I am finding that the climbs are really starting to kill me. Another factor is that newer bikes are coming in at 28lbs with just as much travel as I have (my bike is around 36lbs).

Since I really want to keep my frame, I am looking for advice/comments from people that have actually switched from coil to air with some of the newer fox stuff. I am specifically thinking of running an RP23 and 36 Float combo.

I am willing to sacrifice a little ride quality to shave 3lbs off my rig, but my experiences with the older fox air equipment has left a really bad impression on me.

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
air suspension has gotten better. Push can make an RP23 a better shock, and this one is promising as well:

I have some saddle time in with the shock, but not enough to draw conclusions. It does not have the weak mid stroke support of the dhx-air, and I like the adjustability of the bottom out protection:

https://www.x-fusion-shox.com/shocks/h3

Air forks are better as well; once again, Push improves the 36 float:
https://www.pushindustries.com/2009...=products&title=FOX FLOAT 36RC2&product_id=62

·
I dig trails!
5,608 Posts
+1 what Bad Mechanic wrote.

To add to it, I think most air shocks have gotten a bad rap due to a couple of trends: SPV or other heavy heavy handed platform (or digressive damping), and large volume air chambers (= feel great on showroom floor, but blow through travel). The shocks deserved this reputation.

IF, your frame linkage is designed with an air shock spring rate in mind, then an air shock can ride superior to a coil.

I recently went from an all coil set up to a well matched air set up and am missing nothing (except about 3 pounds which is nice for manuals, bunny hopping, etc.)

Quality air shocks seem to be Fox RP series and Manitou's Evolver (ISX6). And don't forget Push can take it to the next level as well.

P

·
Praise Bob
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bad mechanic said:
The DHX Air wasn't ever very good, and in my opinion, the Talas as always lacked. What shock and fork are you using now?
I have a PUSH'd DHX coil on the back and an 06 Talas up front. I also have a Marz 55 and dont like it either. I've had the opportunity to ride the 36 Van RC2 on several other bikes and LOVE the way it feels, but I am not 100% sure I want the weight penalty when I upgrade my bike.

I really just need an opportunity to try out the 36 Float somehow and see if it really performs like the Van. Fox advertised my Talas as being "just like a coil" and that is total BS. I've had nothing but problems trying to tune that fork and it's ready for it's third rebuild.

I am reluctant to get rid of the dhx coil because I love the way it feels, but I may just be prejudiced based on experiences with older technology that no longer applies. I've noticed that nearly all 6" travel bikes are getting spec'd with air shocks/forks so something must have improved in the past few years.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.