Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
emteebee
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I first purchased a 2006 hardrock pro a couple months back to see if I liked mountain biking before spending more than 1,000 on a bike. Well I like it a lot and now my mom is taking over my bike so I am in the market for a new bike. I do cross country rides, and preferably want xt components or sram x9, and a light bike. I feel comfortable on treks and specialized, but am open to anything. Any suggestions?

·
emteebee
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you a rep. for ibex? Do you own one? Just asking out of curiosity, and yes I have been eye balling that one. Problem is I seem to be a little big on my moms hardrock pro disc 17" and the 19.5 trek my dad has feels good.

I am 5 ' 11" 140, and im only 17, so I am pretty sure I want to g with a 19".

I am looking at the specialized stumpjumper hardtail also.

Side Note - It's getting hard when 3 people want to ride and we only have 2 bikes, but my 18th birthday is September so I kind of want to save my money until then so I can afford a nice bike in the $1500 range.

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
:lol::lol: Nope dont work for them, yup do ride a Asta. I sound like a broken record but Ibex does offer a excelent product for the price. The customer service at Ibex is awsome & that is why i respect & speak highly of them. Not to mention their frames are very sweet. The Asta is a XC 4 inch travel bike that i have been doing AM/DH on & the frame is flex free & solid. :thumbsup::thumbsup::D

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=197104

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=204057

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
So many options

With the $1500 you're budgeting you can buy yourself a pretty nice bike. You'll get a killer hardtail for that kind of money, and if you shop wisely you can find a good deal on a full suspension rig if you're inclined to go that way. As for buying from the LBS as compared to online, if you're comfortable with the risks of buying sight unseen and without a test ride, Ibex is a great option. I own an Ibex, and furthermore, my full suspension rig was purchased from an online resource without me seeing or riding the bike first. Th risk is finding out that you don't like how the bike feels, as well as the logistics for any warranty service should you need it. The reward is that your dollar will go much further buying direct. Hopefully your parents will buy into the direct from manufacturer option. if not, i wouldn't rock the boat, even though you'll be 18 and should be able to make the decision yourself.

Let us know what you finally decide to purchase.

Bob

·
Registered
834 Posts
If only dogonfr was given a commission for every Ibex suggested....;)

Anyway to the OP,

...if you know what you like.
...if you know what fits you.
...if you know how to wrench your own bike.

buying on line will save you a pretty penny. If however, you are only attracted because of the low prices and are guessing on how it may ride or fit and may need the services of a bike shop for adjustments or whatever, buy local. No substitute for seeing the bike in person, touching it, riding it and bringing it back for whatever questions/warranty you have.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Why not full supension?

Hey in that range or less you can get a Sana Curz Superlight! If you are going to really get into riding full supension is the only way to go. Sooner or later you are going to hit the trails where you need and want it.

I rode one for 9 years, totally solid and XC fast reflexs! Fun beyond belief.

·
Registered
141 Posts
You could probly find a base stumpjumper FSR for around $1500. Also check some local shops, I found one in my area that has the green demo bikes from specialized. I took out a stumpy and got it muddy and everything, now I have a new stumpy FSR comp based on that test ride.

·
Yasco
59 Posts
Santa Cruz Superlight complete bike D XC is $1384. Please check their web site for details (Superligh -> Bike Builder -> Completes). Important: the bike shops prefer to sell build kits, essentially a frame where they put components from a package or those that you want. So called "complete bikes" are Santa Cruz option for those who will take pre-build bikes.

·
Banned
2,994 Posts
Get a specialized with a Fox front fork

cmktech said:
Ok so I first purchased a 2006 hardrock pro a couple months back to see if I liked mountain biking before spending more than 1,000 on a bike. Well I like it a lot and now my mom is taking over my bike so I am in the market for a new bike. I do cross country rides, and preferably want xt components or sram x9, and a light bike. I feel comfortable on treks and specialized, but am open to anything. Any suggestions?
and ride. You won't regret it.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
I'm sorry I just had to reply to this answer. The SC SuperLights are indeed light, HOWEVER they are also damn flexy, single pivot bikes that pedal no where near as good as a more modern suspension designed bike.

If it were me I'd be looking at a FS rig for the $1500, something along that price range will have a good frame and good components and will be worth upgrading in the future.

I'm pretty sure you could find yourself an '05 GIANT Trance3 for around that price or maybe a '05 TREK Fuel EX7 or as said a StumpyFSR. Key is to look around for sales on last years models and you'll find a good deal.

bikemanla said:
Hey in that range or less you can get a Sana Curz Superlight! If you are going to really get into riding full supension is the only way to go. Sooner or later you are going to hit the trails where you need and want it.

I rode one for 9 years, totally solid and XC fast reflexs! Fun beyond belief.

·
Registered
91 Posts
dogonfr said:
:lol::lol: Nope dont work for them, yup do ride a Asta. I sound like a broken record but Ibex does offer a excelent product for the price. The customer service at Ibex is awsome & that is why i respect & speak highly of them. Not to mention their frames are very sweet. The Asta is a XC 4 inch travel bike that i have been doing AM/DH on & the frame is flex free & solid. :thumbsup::thumbsup::D

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=197104

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=204057
I was wondering the same thing. I find it hard to believe that you don't work them....heck, I love my Blackberry, but you'll never see me registering, and then posting in an internet forum (specially the "What to buy?"), promoting the darn thing. Now, if I worked for them, then I would.

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
I'm not so sure about this one. think about this, do you really need a 1500 dollar XC bike ? also if you are just getting into the sport, you might not be so sure if you want to stick with XC anyway. get something a little more versatile. yesterday I rode arouns a Ironhorse Warrior Pro DS, it was a sick bike, and I was pretty agressive on it. it would serve your XC duities just fine, but would also be more suited lets say if you wanted to try more AM/FR duities. buy what you know your limits are. wouldent want to get a really expencive bike, only to find out a month from now you want to do DH riding. but as dogonfr put it, check out Ibex. I have the ibex Zone and its a really sick bike. I'm going to probably build up an asta frame soon as well. check em' out.

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
gcc0 said:
I was wondering the same thing. I find it hard to believe that you don't work them....heck, I love my Blackberry, but you'll never see me registering, and then posting in an internet forum (specially the "What to buy?"), promoting the darn thing. Now, if I worked for them, then I would.
When a company takes care of the customers & is there to help if there is any way possible, that is called customer service. All products survive on customer satisfaction, if the customer is happy with the products & get good to great customer service they tend to speak highly of them. XSL_WiLL praises Avid, SMT worships Marzocci, Scoop loves his Nicolai, PayHere says only Sram. This forum is a great selling point for these companys, the satisfied customers voice there proud oppinion & the products just keep selling. :rockon:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.