Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Wong Way
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I'm caving, my Jamis Dakar is heavy as a tank and needs way too much maintence for me to care for any longer so that frame is going up for sale for any takers.

I AM building a 29er for the first time in my life and from all the advantages I've heard about over 26ers, I'm extremely excited. Im looking for light weight and speed for xc/am riding in NH.
It will be a 1x9 setup

So far i have chosen my frame:
-Motobecane Fanthom Pro 19"

The parts I have are:

-FireX Team GXP Crankset
-34t Single Speed Chain Ring
- Bash Guard
-990 Cassette (11-34t)
-X9 Medium Cage Rear
-Avid BB7 Brakes
-Handlebar and Stem
-990 chain

The parts i need help with are:
-Decent Wheelset(disc) and Tires(lighter the better)
-Fork (looking at a 100mm reba sl)

Also any other suggestions would be great!

·
Wong Way
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i can handle the 34 well.I had the 32 for a while it it got to easy and i was spinning most of the time. but i have it as a buckup if needed.

Im debating right now about the Tora, reba, and recon forks....dont know which is better for the price

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have beaten a tora (in 80 but convertible to 100) for the last 4 seasons without any hiccups. I would recommend this if you wanted to more money into the wheel set and save up for a nicer (lighter and more adjustable) fork down the road.

·
Wong Way
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a 2009 tora on my Jamis right now and i like it i just don't know if i would really notice a difference to something more expensive....plus its only 200 on amazon sooo....hmmmmmmm

·
Registered
157 Posts
godbout.t said:
i can handle the 34 well.I had the 32 for a while it it got to easy and i was spinning most of the time. but i have it as a buckup if needed.

Im debating right now about the Tora, reba, and recon forks....dont know which is better for the price
The gearing on the 29er will be noticeably taller than the 26" bike.

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
For wheels, are you looking for a complete set that you can buy, or are you also considering a custom build, using the rims/spokes/hubs of your choice?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.