Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I actually posted this in the GD section, but it probably makes more sense here.

I'm currently doing my base building phase as per "Base Building for Cyclists" by Chapple. I'm actaully in the pre-base phase doing 4 days a week in zone 4 (10 total zones) for 60mins at a time on the stationary bike and 2 days a week in zone 4 for 60mins on the treadmill. I've completed 3 weeks of this. Obviously these are low intensity sessions since i'm trying to boost by fat burning ability to lose a couple pounds of fat i've accumulated. My question is if i need a "recovery week"?
The book does say to have a "recovery week" every 3 weeks or so. I don't feel overtrained but i do feel a little tired every now and then. I also weight train 5 days a week.

Would a recovery week be of benefit even though i'm in the low intensity phase?

·
I'm a unitard!
1,514 Posts
fishtanker said:
I actually posted this in the GD section, but it probably makes more sense here.

I'm currently doing my base building phase as per "Base Building for Cyclists" by Chapple. I'm actaully in the pre-base phase doing 4 days a week in zone 4 (10 total zones) for 60mins at a time on the stationary bike and 2 days a week in zone 4 for 60mins on the treadmill. I've completed 3 weeks of this. Obviously these are low intensity sessions since i'm trying to boost by fat burning ability to lose a couple pounds of fat i've accumulated. My question is if i need a "recovery week"?
The book does say to have a "recovery week" every 3 weeks or so. I don't feel overtrained but i do feel a little tired every now and then. I also weight train 5 days a week.

Would a recovery week be of benefit even though i'm in the low intensity phase?
Yes, a recovery week every 4th week is common. The fatigue from long hours in the saddle feels different from the fatigue that is caused by high intensity intervals, but not letting your body recover from that base building fatigue can be just as detrimental.

It's always wise to cut down the hours a touch on that 4th week.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
rest

rest weeks are to allow the adaptation to your systems and muscles take place, as well the rest. they are essential. you may even reduce your results by NOT resting. i used to not take rest weeks, always hit a plateau REALLY early in the season and things just dwindled from there. it is a long season, take your time and you will getting better results over the course of the year.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
kevbikemad said:
rest weeks are to allow the adaptation to your systems and muscles take place, as well the rest. they are essential. you may even reduce your results by NOT resting. i used to not take rest weeks, always hit a plateau REALLY early in the season and things just dwindled from there. it is a long season, take your time and you will getting better results over the course of the year.
Now that you mention that i did notice one day last week that my power output seemed to drag. I just chalked it up to a bad day but maybe it was becasue i was in need of some rest. :thumbsup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.