Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I'm currently running DT Swiss E2200 with the thru-20/12 hubs on my Carbon Moto.
I'm looking for a lighter but also durable AM/FR wheelset, what are you guys diggin on your rigs?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Been running '10 Crossmax SX wheels for a few months. They are super quick compared to my Hope Hoops and lighter too @ 1755g.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
hadley or king rear with a hope front for hubs

rims

flows
halo freedom disc
mavic 721
dt 5.1

lots of options. what's your price range?

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
qbert2000 said:
hadley or king rear with a hope front for hubs

rims

flows
halo freedom disc
mavic 721
dt 5.1

lots of options. what's your price range?
I'd like to keep it under $650ish:thumbsup:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Either those Crossmax wheels (with their MP3 insurance type program), or Edge composits with really nice hubs. The latter is a little more expensive, proably, but will last very long. The former will fix or replace them, which takes a lot of time and shipping costs, ie, have a back-up set of rims. Tough call...

btw props to weescott, nice pictures.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Hope Pro2 hubs with Stans Flow rims are pretty awesome if you live somewhere rocky where pinch flats are a common issue to deal with. Cheaper and more easy to service than many of the pre-built AM wheelsets as well.

·
Registered
10,033 Posts
any decent hub with any decent ~500 gram ~28mm rim would be a good choice. db spokes and a good build makes for an excellent wheelset. skip the crossmax for all sorts of reasons.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Roval Traverse EL Wheelset:
http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=47223

Just picked up a set of these, the 2010's, (used) like new for $385
Just gotta say I love these wheels!

I swapped in a 12x135 rear axle for my 2010 Reign X and installed the 36p ratchet upgrade at the same time (the rear hub is basically a DT 240s) These are the lightest/smoothest rolling hubs I have ever dealt with - just awesome!

I replaced the blue tape (seemed flimsey to me) with one layer of Stan's yellow tape, and the Specialized tubeless valves. Running them with a 2.3 S-Works Eskar on the front, and a 2.2 S-Works The Captain on the rear. Tubeless, with Stan's sealant.

I was running the same tires on Hope/Flow's (Hope Hoops) and I don't know if it's the lighter weight, smoother bearings, or if the rim width gives the tires a "perfect" profile, but the Roval set just grips, and flies - my favorite wheelset to date, and I really like my Hope Hoops (I still think the Stan's Flow rim is one of the best trail rims.)

I've used Mavic 819 & 823 rims, Hadley & Hope hubs as well.
If I were building a custom wheelset, I'd use the DT 240s hubs again.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I hear you DeoreoI got the 36 ratchet added too. The DT hubs still blow me away how they roll so damn fast downhill. It also makes pumping through rolling 1track much more fun.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts