Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been a fan of Avid brakes and running the Juicy series for years. After my Juicy Ultimates bit the dust, I gave the new Shimanos a try (M785) on my single speed and love them :thumbsup:!

I am now presented with a bit of a quandary in that my Juicy Carbons on my geared bike are in bad need of a caliper rebuild and there is not a caliper rebuild kit to be had. I would simply get the same M785s I have already fallen in love with, but the lever blades are not long enough to run on the geared bike :madman:(I run Sram Grip Shift).

This means I need an alternative.

1. Does anyone know of a longer aftermarket lever for the new Shimanos?
2. Can someone make a recommendation of a solid replacement to the Juicys? I am a little gun shy of Avid after hearing some bad things about the Elixer series.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"Avid fan, but gun shy of Avid"...can't understand that, but...at any rate, I believe any SLX, XT and XTR is going to have two finger levers.
I have historically been a fan of Avid, but am gun shy of their new product line because of negative feedback from the field on the Elixer series.

If the SLX, XT and XTRs have 2 finger levers, I have not seen them. A link or model number would be appreciated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't need 2 fingers on the lever. The grip shift makes the short levers on the new Shimano stuff impossible to grab without having your hand on the shifter as well.

I will take a look for the longer touring ones as that sounds like it is what I want.

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
Though I no longer have twist grips, I had them on my 575 and kept my hands on the shifters while braking. I never thought it was a problem. In fact, I would move the brakes inboard for better leverage. But as Cleared2land says, with the tour levers, you should be good to go.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.